New England Wood Pellets wrapped while still hot??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevekng

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2007
Central Maine
I just picked up the second of four tons of NEWP(Jaffery plant) from St. Albans Stove Shop today. While I was unloading I noticed some of the bags were mushy at the corners. The owner exchaged the bags without a problem, but I'm now wondering about the rest of the pallet after the story she told me. According to her, the plant wrapped the bags of pellets while they were sill hot, causing moisture to cotaminate the product.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it true fact, or should I call Mythbusters?

Two years ago, my supplier dropped off my order of NEWP he had just picked up at the Schuyler, NY facility. They were still hot (and very fragrant I might add) and I live about 75 mile away from the plant.

I had absolutely no problems with them.

I thought all moisture problems were from the dealers storing pellets outside.
I thought it was never the manufactures issue.

BTU contradicting himself again.

I have seen this with other brands also. We have had few complaints about NEWP having a clumping issue and the few we had was due to a corner of the bag being exposed to the elements during delivery. Most of the pellets from the plant are still hot from the mill. I like it because I know they are fresh product. On a side note Tree Cycle pellets seem to be invincible to moisture, we have a bag that was returned sitting outside with no protection and the pellets have yet to degrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.