New Englander NC-30 owner install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troydennis2

Mar 13, 2011
Northshore MA
I ordered a Englander NC-30 from home depot and am expecting delivery this week (thanks hearth forums for alerting me to the $650 deal). The corner of the basement was already set up for a wood stove with a 8 inch double walled external chimney that goes horizonally through the poured foundation and then up approx 30 feet. I bought the sooteater and will run it through before starting the first fire. There is already a professional looking brick hearth and steel plates that extend each direction about 60 inches from the corner.

I'm going to install the stove myself and need to purchase the black stove pipe. The centerline of the 8 inch crimped chimney pipe is 58.5 inches from the floor. The englander NC-30 flue exit will be 28.25 from the floor. So black stove pipe will need to be approx 30.25 inches in height including the 90 degree bend. Then I need to go horizonally around 18 inches to the chimney (8 inch crimped).

So I need to know what type of connection does the top of the NC-30 have? I know it is 6 inch something. male or female?
Where do you recommend going locally(home depot?) or online to buy stove pipe?
Any luck with the slip stove pipe to adjust for length?
Do you guys use high temp silicone at the joints or something similar?
The back corners of the stove will be around 6 inches to the bricks. I've seen lots of information on safe combustible distances, is there anything to worry about with non-combustibles being close?

Thanks

Troy

I have the same stove. The outlet on top of the stove is female (crimped stove pipe end goes into it). Just bought my stove pipe at Menards. No experience with the adjustable stove pipe. In the past I didnt use any silicone but just today I decided to put some on for a better draft, not too much of a difference. And my understanding on non combustibles, is that it shouldn't matter as long as its not a combustible. Hope this helps, and enjoy the stove.

Do not use anything but furnace cement to seal a stove pipe. Silicone vaporizes at eight hundred degrees and will stink to high heaven. Your pipe joints won't need to be sealed, just fastened together with three sheet metal screws at each joint. Gluing it together with anything just makes for a real pain getting it apart for cleaning.

thanks for the prompt responses from gordanshumway and brotherbart.

I'm still wondering about the slip style stove pipe. The plus side is that it makes installation easier, the down side would be the chance of it leaking.

Also is there any benefit of the 22 gauge pipe vs the 24 guage?

When it contains really hot gasses and even fire, thicker is always better. Both from a containment of said fire and a longevity standpoint.

Matt

Have a slip section on our stove and it makes checking/cleaning the chimney a piece of cake. We have a very steep pitch and 12' of exposed class A supported by a brace above the shingles. I use the soot eater from the bottom up for cleaning. Would two 45's be an option for you in this installation?

Also, when you use your increaser going from the 6 in to 8 in pipe, make that transition at the crock / thimble.

pen

Ok I found the pipes i needed at woodland direct. Looks like their premium black stove pipe is 22 gauge and somewhat reasonably priced.

Starting from the top of stove

18-30 inch adjustable straight pipe
45 degree adjustable bend
45 degree adjustable bend
6 male to 8 inch female increaser at chimney connection

I went with two 45 degree bends instead of a 90 because I was trying to gain some horizontal distance from the wall.

With any luck this should go together with no problems.

Also got a iron fireplace tool set for 10 bucks on craigslist today!

Day 1.5 with stove. House 75 degrees and it is 31 outside. Burning envi 7lb logs and things are great. Stove burns so clean had to tell neighbors that I was burning. Thanks hearth!

Troy said:
Day 1.5 with stove. House 75 degrees and it is 31 outside. Burning envi 7lb logs and things are great. Stove burns so clean had to tell neighbors that I was burning. Thanks hearth!

I burn a lot of pine so i get smoke sometimes,but with oak , no smoke. My neighbor has a smoke dragon older wood stove that smolders all the time,loads of smoke and creosote running down the pipes. I said to him the other day, look at those chimneys on my house ,can you tell im burning 2 stoves and 0 smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.