New Exhaust Fan Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkSide

Nov 12, 2008
Southern NH
I have a St. Croix Prescott that needs an exhaust fan replacement. It is actually the 2nd time I've had to do this ( what am I doing wrong? ). However, this time the replacement fan I got is the Fasco A082, which replaced the 70219457 model. Everything fit right into place, but I ran into trouble connecting the power. The old fans had a white, black, and brown wire ( I know brown wasn't used ). This new fan has 2 black wires, and a ground wire attached to the motor housing. On the old fan, the white went to white and the blue went to black. How do I tell on this new fan which black wire goes to which connection?

Also, the two nylon disconnects on the new fan are both male, where the old one was 1 male and 1 female. So now I have a wire that I can't connect to the blue wire. How is something like this accomplished? I figure I could strip the black wire ( when I figure out which one ) and put on a female connector, but I've never done that. Is it that difficult to do?

Thanks.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

IMG_9366.jpg

Change connectors to match whats there. Does not matter which wire goes to which.

Get a Male spade and cut the wire to crimp it on. Good to go.

My Englander uses the A082 as a replacement. Wire color does not matter here.

Excellent...I'm back in business again. Thanks for your help.

Who knew the stove could be this quiet? I'm thinking I don't need to oil this one in the future. Maybe just take the fan off each year and brush around the blades? Next I need to pack a little more grease in the versa-grate motor and you'll never know it's running.

IMG_9380.jpg

Congrats... Beautiful set-up. The auger wires and convection blower are the same way. Wire color does not matter.

Glad its working good for you.

DexterDay said:
The auger wires and convection blower are the same way. Wire color does not matter.

Thanks for this extra info, because wouldn't you know it, I had to replace the auger motor too. In my opinion, it was the easiest thing to replace on the whole stove.

Does the A082 exhaust fan sound louder to anyone? Mine is securely installed and works fine, but there seems to be some vibration noise, especially at the lower speeds ( i.e. when first started and during cool down when stove is shut off ). It just sounds louder than I remember.

The Old blower in my Englander had a bad bearing, so it was pretty loud anyways. The A082 dampening didnt seem to be as good as the factory blower I took off, but its not that bad. To me anyways. The replacement I bought for my Quad (A Rotom-dont know # off hand) sounds much different. But they are 2 totally different types of motors. So it was expected. Both work well, Rotom is on the shelf as a replacement for when the factory motor dies.

Charlie500e said:
Off topic but have you cleaned your firebricks? Mine looked like yours years ago but are much darker now.

Besides brushing the old bricks with a paint brush, no. What you see here however is the new steel brick plates ( which come standard on this stove now ) I put it a couple weeks ago. When I removed the old bricks to do a thorough cleaning, the broke apart into too many pieces to put back together.

DexterDay said:
The Old blower in my Englander had a bad bearing, so it was pretty loud anyways. The A082 dampening didnt seem to be as good as the factory blower I took off, but its not that bad. To me anyways. The replacement I bought for my Quad (A Rotom-dont know # off hand) sounds much different. But they are 2 totally different types of motors. So it was expected. Both work well, Rotom is on the shelf as a replacement for when the factory motor dies.

Thanks. I think I can live with it. It doesn't sound terrible, just different from what I am used to. Maybe I'll get used to this as well. I did notice this motor doesn't have the red bushings on the mount like my old motors did.

thedarkside said:
Charlie500e said:
Off topic but have you cleaned your firebricks? Mine looked like yours years ago but are much darker now.

Besides brushing the old bricks with a paint brush, no. What you see here however is the new steel brick plates ( which come standard on this stove now ) I put it a couple weeks ago. When I removed the old bricks to do a thorough cleaning, the broke apart into too many pieces to put back together.

Gotcha. Ok I'll have to be extra careful when I remove my original brick set for cleanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.