New Fascia around a fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Cave

Nov 19, 2012
I have an Napoleon 1101 fireplace insert installed in my fireplace downstairs. The insert is surrounded by an ugly black sheet metal surround that covers the original fireplace opening. The insert was installed by a Wett Certified technician. The original facia around the fireplace is red brick.

I would like to replace the brick facia with a thin-stone basalt veneer. This product is left over from some exterior work that was carried out in 2009. My thoughts are first remove the red brick and to afix a concrete board (Hardie Backer 500) on top of the cinderblock fireplace structure. The Backer board would extend to the fireplace insert. The thin stone veneer would be afixed using mortor after mesh and scratch coat had been applied to the Backer board.

1) Is this a completely foolish idea (don't worry about insulting me).

2) If not, how would one afix the backer board to the cinder-block?

3) Can the blower-fan mounted on the back sheet metal be retrofitted somehow.

4) Other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks! Jim Fireplace.png

Status
Not open for further replies.