New Fisher Stove Owner with questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dara River Spot

Nov 12, 2022
Kettle River, MN
Hello! Recently purchased a cabin with a Fisher wood stove in it. As far as I can tell, it’s a Grandma Bear, but I’d like to know for sure.

I’m especially interested in finding a way to install some glass doors on the stove- but I see from other threads that that may be a rarity… Is there any hope? I’ll include some photos below of the stove. Thanks very much for any info/ clarity!

B3D68AAD-5A71-48D3-8D61-DB689BD65830.jpeg DF63736E-DC67-431D-96C6-DC99BD0EEBCB.jpeg 709835C6-E943-4702-BE2D-8C43112CDD8B.jpeg

Need pics of doors open to rule out this being an XL.

That would also show how many bricks are across the back to determine the width.

The doors are probably marked on the inside, the space between trees looks like a Grandpa, but I’m not in front of my stoves to compare. I don’t believe the tree trunk on the left door is that far away from the draft cap on a Grandma.

No, you can’t simply put glass doors on a stove not made for glass doors. The air intakes are on the sides since the glass doors have no provision for air intakes. The box is also made with an air wash system to keep glass clean. Changing even the same style doors requires rewelding the hinge plates since there were more than one door pattern in more than one foundry. Hinge plates were custom welded in place for each door.

This should have a UL Label with model.

An XL won’t have a UL tag, but has legs like this. They are either Fireplace Legs on a regular model, or XL. The picture doesn’t show if the legs are connected across the front with a fancy scroll cut on an XL. An XL will have an arched door opening, not flat across the opening at top of doors.

It appears that the black connector pipe may be installed backwards. Male ends should be down.

What is behind the rear wall shield? That is not a correctly built heat shield without an open space at bottom if protecting a combustible wall. I suspect the combustible material on wall behind it is not 36 inches from stove where in shielded?

And put the the thermometer on the pipe, not the stove.

Last edited: