New flue routing 3"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
Well, last summer when new roof was installed, I found some of my then 25+ year old flue rotted some on outer flue wall, not stainless liner. Then, there was a 3 foot horizontal, a Tee, and 5 x 3 foot straight up (15 feet) through old eave of carport roof and well above eve of house roof, capped with a pell vent cap. I didn't have new vent handy then, so told roofers to just cover hole …. I had other bigger issues. Spent coldest part of last winter in hospital, doing better now.

We've been doing fine with small infared like heaters like Edinpure, and house heat but miss pellet heat.

Today, I opened up the weather cover over tee (coffee can) and put a 2foot and 3 foot piece straight up, 90 degree elbow, and angled venture like horizontal vent (I have new 3 foot piece and tee but did not have time to install …. so I will tackle that in spring). The venture exit is aimed down maybe 15 degrees and away from house above a carport window that stays shut. After putting 2 and 3 foot piece together, I added a pop rivet to lock them. the elbow and vent are tight fit. I also coated upper side of old tee with corrosion with some Permatex Nickle Never Seize so it'll be easier to remove in spring. I have it clamped to same brackets I had in place.

Wonder how well the old stove works with it? Maybe fire her up tonight. It's my 1992 Vermont Castings Reliance (or is it Reliant?) 2220, no adjustments ever (not sure but seems I did see places to adjust pots on board once?).

1203181701a (479x640).jpg

Last edited:
DSC_8386 (800x531).jpg

New flue setup must be OK ….. she's putting out the heat, nice flame too.

Pic 12/04/2018, added via edit.

Attachments

• 1203182059a (640x394).jpg
    1203182059a (640x394).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi TBear

I'm just about ready to fire up my own Reliance 2220 and was wondering how many pounds does yours burn at low fire and also at high?
Do you have a favorite pellet brand or does anything work in it.
Thanks
Bill

Hi TBear

I'm just about ready to fire up my own Reliance 2220 and was wondering how many pounds does yours burn at low fire and also at high?
Do you have a favorite pellet brand or does anything work in it.
Thanks
Bill
Hi there, didn't know of others still in use?

Mine has been mine since 1992, one TC early on and then one time the front most of two flange bearings that carry the auger seized and the gear box got tore up. Bought new motor with gear box (1/4 rpm output) and two flange bearings at W W Grainger, but before putting together, I decided that that front bearing was unshielded from pellet feed shoot and it has run dry … so took a piece of sheet steel and cut a disc about 2" OD, center hole to fit shaft, welded short piece of exhaust tube to it and slipped it on shaft ahead of bearing nearest auger part of shaft so to cover the bearing … put together, no more probs.

A few years ago, bought another small motor/gear box as spare, still in box.

I also wanted larger hole to clean out under burn pit, so I used a 1-1/4 hole saw, cut hole and welded "plug" to bigger piece of flat and drilled and tapped 1/4-20 holes to hold in place over new access hole. Now, easier to vac out ash pit. I thought about welding/mending a crack in the part with small holes, but crack (from heat) doesn't affect it.

On low, it'll go about 30 hours, maybe more on 40 pounds. At about 9:00o'clock, towards 10:00 O'clock, we put a 40 pound bag a day in like clockwork. I live in a two story log home, well insulated roof (3.5" Styrofoam sandwitched between 5/8 OSb, 5/8 sanded V match pine inside, 30 pound felt, shingles, and now a metal roof on top), full basement, 1100 sf on main floor, about 850 on second floor with open loft, bath, 1 BR …. and when on pellets home's gas heat rarely cuts on. We do use a celing fan in LR in front of stove, on low to keep heat downstairs.

I've never run it on high, though we did crank it up to about 12 o'clock once, it about run us out of the house and so we lowered it.

I started out those now many years ago using Hamer's Pellets (premium hard wood pellets) out of West Virginia … they are now sold as Statesman at Co-Op. I and my stove love them, tried some others a few years ago, stove about choked on them.

Last edited: