New Fuels, Where R they now??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast4wood

Feb 27, 2008
Fall River MA.
I posted the same question on another forum but really didn't get much back,i hope you guys over here in pellet-ville what to play. :roll:

Fast4wood said:
I posted the same question on another forum but really didn't get much back,i hope you guys over here in pellet-ville what to play. :roll:

The last I knew was that there was nothing new.

Now if you want to talk out of the mainstream we can start with a couple of real old time fuels, peat and dung.

They are still around and smoking up things.

What new fuels you talking about?

Pellets? Heck you can get em at the super markets now.

Corn? I can get tons but pricey this season.

Grass pellets? Yep! Got a good source for them.

Cherry Pits? TSC has them. But more than pellets

I found a fellow that is making paper, leaves, straw, cardboard and rice hull pellets(more but I don't remember um all!). Haven't gotten a chance to see him for samples yet. I have heard of peat moss pellets and bamboo. But I haven't seen any in my area. So yes there out there. Takes a bit of digging to find them though!

I’m more interested in some of the new bio fuels. My own personal experience came at the end of last years heating season. I had a chance to get hold of some seed-cake from a Jatropha plant while down in Fla., it wasn’t much but enough to be able to test it in my stove, an Avalon 745.
I have been burning my own cut,split, stacked, and seasoned firewood for 30 years, and i would change over to this stuff in a heart beat. It comes in a form i can only describe as what looks like a goose turd, about 2 -3” long and half inch in diameter. It had a very faint earthy smell to it and was gray in color (not like goose turds).
Before trying the stuff I cleaned out the wood ashes from the stove so i could tell what was burnt and how much ash there would be after the fire was out. Placed in a pile about 3 hand-fulls in the stove and found it would lite with a long burning match. It took sometime for the pile to really get going but never did it smoke or need tending. After adjusting the air the flame turned blue and stood relatively small,but the embers had nice red glow. I have to say i was impressed!
As with everything there were some negatives, the burn time seemed a little short for the amount of fuel used, and the ash pile a little larger than i would like to see.I think the reason for that is in the fact that the seed-cake wasn’t as compressed as it could be and had a lower density that that of sawdust blocks. The weight to size ratio seemed to be about one third that of a oak log.I only had enough cake to fill the stove 3 times so i guess the jury is still out on just how good this stuff really is, but for me, i now know that there are some alternatives to just burning wood.

Fast4Wood ever burn coal?

There are real good stokers out there these days as well as traditional hand fired stoves. Plenty of heat and it can burn a long while.

j-takeman said:
What new fuels you talking about?

Pellets? Heck you can get em at the super markets now.

Corn? I can get tons but pricey this season.

Grass pellets? Yep! Got a good source for them.

Cherry Pits? TSC has them. But more than pellets

I found a fellow that is making paper, leaves, straw, cardboard and rice hull pellets(more but I don't remember um all!). Haven't gotten a chance to see him for samples yet. I have heard of peat moss pellets and bamboo. But I haven't seen any in my area. So yes there out there. Takes a bit of digging to find them though!

I'm thinking more towards the bio stuff, there is a big push to develope Alge into fuel, i wonder if the alge cake would be a good fuel to make pellets with.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Fast4wood said:

Now if you want to talk out of the mainstream we can start with a couple of real old time fuels, peat and dung.

I'm thinking more in the way of bio fuels, it seams we could beneift by some of these fuels as a byproduct the they my produce.

Fast4wood said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Fast4wood said:

I'm thinking more in the way of bio fuels, it seams we could beneift by some of these fuels as a byproduct the they my produce.

Well then we have your byproduct fuel dung.

Extremely common produced daily by the butt load so to speak.

and Peat

That is nice decaying plant matter that if left alone and gets deep enough and buried becomes coal.

All perfectly good bio fuels.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Fast4wood said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Fast4wood said:

Well then we have your byproduct fuel dung.

Extremely common produced daily by the butt load so to speak.

Check out #5 post i think it's more closer to what i've been talking about

and Peat

That is nice decaying plant matter that if left alone and gets deep enough and buried becomes coal.

All perfectly good bio fuels.

Yes I know what you are talking about, you are talking about using the waste products from other processes.

Jay already mentioned cherry pits. I'll add nut shells and olive pits.

All from processes that are not specifically set up to extract bio fuels to start with.

My first example has been used for Milena and is a true waste product like the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.