new guy, new stove and some minor questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

npompei

Oct 16, 2010
Warrington, PA
Hey guys,

I have been lurking here for a few months and I am posting for the first time.

I bought a used 2-3 year old St. Croix Greenfield and we started burning it for over 12 hours straight last night. I shut it down this afternoon as its warmer here now and I want to save some pellets! But this thing is FULL of dust particles. Not so much in the dust pan but up in the stove, surrounding the burnpot and grates in the stove. Is this normal for the dust to stay inside the stove like that?

And I bought a few tons of American Wood Fibers and was wondering if it was them? When I dump the pellets into the stove the amount of dust that comes out of the hopper is insane! Is that normal?

I was thinking of rigging up a dust collector like some people have put online here. I found some plans and might give that a shot. Do you think that will help?

Sorry for all of the questions! Like I said, totally new to the pellet stove world and it is very exciting just a little nerve-racking at times! Thanks,

Welcome to the forum....glad you decided to "show yourself"! LOL

Yes, all pellet stoves produce ash that settles around the burn pot.....just the nature of the beast.

As for the dust from the bags, either pour the pellets in VERY slowly, or make the pellet cleaner you mentioned. I did, and it made a big difference in the dust level.

Attachments

• Pellet cleaner 1.jpg
    Pellet cleaner 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,184
That's the best looking PVC pellet cleaner that I've seen! Do you have material list for this rig?

nosaudioil said:
That's the best looking PVC pellet cleaner that I've seen! Do you have material list for this rig?

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23999/

Look at posts #13 - 18....parts list included. About $25 for parts at Home Depot/Lowes, plus something for the top "bowl" to pour them in....I found a big plastic mixing bowl & large funnel at WallyMart. Made a hole in the bottom of bowl, hot glued the funnel to the bowl bottom & top of PVC pipe.

Attachments

• Pellet cleaner 2.jpg
    Pellet cleaner 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 390
Ok great. Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will put those plans to use. I tried pouring slow, pouring fast, etc. I def. think the cleaner will work wonders. Thanks again,

BUT . . .BUT. . . .BUT . . . . .

The seller of the pellet cleaner plans on e-bay states that his design will "Safely" clean pellets and many he has tested do not allow the "full force" of the shop vac to pull dust away from the person pouring the pellers.

Will Pete's ( imacman) design, which he is sharing for free, do these wonderus things?

There is an ugly rumor going around about Pete's wife still being angry that he cut a hole in the bottom of her favorite mixing bowl and hot glued it to his pellet cleasner and then had the audacity to post pictures of it on this web site.

Seriously, npompei, you cannot do better than to follow the advice and shared knowledge of members like imacman, j-takeman, and others.

Ranger

Oh no no no. I meant I was going to follow the advice of those guys! I sure as hell ain't going to pay for ebay plans! I am a DIY'er and the plans on OUR website look simple and fun! Sorry for the confusion! ahha, I wouldnt trust anyone over anybody on here!

Thanks imacman (and all youse guys) for the tech info, pics etc on the pellet cleaning machine!

No problem guys....glad to help out fellow pelletheads when I can.

As for the wif being mad about the bowl, I solved that a long time ago.....I had a choice between the bowl & the wif.....the bowl is still here.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.