New guy question???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
Hello,
My name is Chris, been lurking for quite a while. Definatly been "educated" by this site, thanks all. I have been the split in the summer and burn all winter guy for years. Question is, I have four cords of red & white sitting almost ready, definatly will b ready for the fall, been split small and stacked for a yr now. But I cut some ash a few weeks ago. Stacked in full sun, seems to b seasoning fast. You guys thinkit will b good for nov/ dec? I will b cutting all winter to avoid this prob next yr.
Thank you all

Wecome, Ash if dead standing could be ready.....

The ash will probably be ready Feb/march.

It will burn but not well.

...mostly depends on the split size and welcome.

Glad that you're a new member and not a new guy because you just got a new member.
Although that could possibly be interesting if broached well, too.

Will have to add my 2 cents to the might be good enough list, both the ash and the 'red and white'.

Big Chris said:
Hello,
My name is Chris, been lurking for quite a while. Definatly been "educated" by this site, thanks all. I have been the split in the summer and burn all winter guy for years. Question is, I have four cords of red & white sitting almost ready, definatly will b ready for the fall, been split small and stacked for a yr now. But I cut some ash a few weeks ago. Stacked in full sun, seems to b seasoning fast. You guys thinkit will b good for nov/ dec? I will b cutting all winter to avoid this prob next yr.
Thank you all

Welcome to the forum Big Chris.

By red & white, does that mean red and white oak? If so, you no doubt know it takes a long time to season red oak. A little shorter time for white oak.

If you do a search you will no doubt find where I've posted before about having to burn ash that was freshly cut all of one winter. We did it and although we were a bit chilly, did not freeze and it got us through that winter. We did have to clean the chimney, I think 4 times that winter. The point is, you can do it if you have to but it is still better to wait.

You might also find that most folks will say stacking wood in the sun is good, but stacking it in the wind is even better. Air is what is needed to dry the wood. Sun helps but is not totally necessary.

My suggestion is to stack that ash so the wind hits the sides of the row. Stack in a single row and do not try to stack it tight and really neat. Stack it loosely so that air can flow through the wood pile. Also stack it off the ground. We use some sapling poles that we cut in the woods to stack the wood on. You can also just lay down two rows of wood in place of the poles (or 4 x 4's or landscape timers, or pallets, etc.) and then stack the wood on top of that. This keeps the wood off damp ground and also allows air to circulate under the wood to help drying. I also would not cover the wood until late fall or early winter.

Good luck to you.

Not much to add here that hasn't already been said . . .

If "red and white" means red oak and white oak . . . most folks say it will take up to two years of seasoning before this wood is ready . . . but when it's ready you've got some serious heat.

As for ash . . . as Savage said, size matters when it comes to seasoning . . . split smaller generally means faster seasoning. As C'mon said . . . ash seems to season fast (although it may simply be that ash has less moisture in it from the get-go compared to many other tree species). As Woodsmaster and BS said, it will burn, but not well . . . you could probably get by with it . . . especially in late Winter, but you'll be a lot happier with faster ignition, more heat, etc. by waiting a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.