New guy up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetussnow

Oct 3, 2012
Westchester, ny
Greetings all!

Excellent board. My kind of people here. Purchased a regency gci60 a few weeks back. It is an insert, exactly like the enviro m55. I chose this model based on reviews, and that the surround works in my fireplace. I have it installed with 4 inch liner to the top of the chimney and no OAK. I do have a large opening in the fireplace which is the ash cleanout. It is flowing air like a champ from my basement/garage which is very dry. I did not use a manga helix yet, but flame looks good and heat is there.

I have a remote thermostat set up which works well so far. It lives one room away from the insert, near the stairs.

I have run a few bags of green supremes just to see what's what, and the thermo has been firing the stove up night with the thermo at 70. -72. Not much running during the day down here just north of NYC yet. Last night was the first test really. I have 2000 sf to heat, and with a low of 30 out, and with setting on medium heat, no problems getting the lower level above 70 everywhere. Just for laughs, I put the setting to high and thermo to 74 in the next room, and the house generally was warm to hot with outside temp around 38. 90 degrees in the room with the stove. Unreal.

I have 2 tons of pellets on hand, including green supremes, cubic and omallays. I am hoping to get another ton or so of somesets or something similar. Green supremes are making heat, but appear dirty/dusty. Dialing in the stove I had a scoop of unburned pellets building up, but now it is mostly ash and few clinkers. I think it is running fairly efficiently.

photo.JPG

Looks nice and welcome! Great people and great info here as you already know! Enjoy the warmth!

Beautiful stove! Welcome to the forum!

Stove looks great....welcome to the forum. BTW, use up as much of those GS as you can now, and replace them with something better....they are only good for shoulder seasons. Replace with the Somersets, Greene Teams, or something like that.

Hi all

Just updating on life after a full week of round the clock burning. I have gone through about 30 bags total since I got the stove, some of it not necessary. But this past week I have had my thermo set to 70 in the daytime and 75 at night when people are here. Swing is 2 degrees. The stove is an m55 insert, and the air feed is at 3 and the flame level is at 3, and the pellet feed is at 2. The stove is on auto on auto off, premium pellet.

I have been running the gs through, with no complaints. Looks like the ash from this week is not that bad at all. Not quite going through 2 bags a day at this rate in these conditions. Maybe 1.75 bags. It has been 30 for a low at night out. can't say anything bad about gs so far. But I put some dry creeks in for the overnight to,see what happens.

I love this stove and love pellet burning. This hobby happens to benefit the family and checkbook, unlike my motorcycle and snowmobile addiction! But I will have more money left for the latter! I can't wait for the real cold to strike to test my white lightening and cubex stash.

2 bags a day seems like an awful lot. It's not cold out yet. I'm burning 1 a day. Temp set for 72 when home, 68 at night and at work.

2 bags a day seems like an awful lot. It's not cold out yet. I'm burning 1 a day. Temp set for 72 when home, 68 at night and at work.

I think today is 1.5 bags, so likely my real average. Not complaining. I have a fussy wife so we are running warmer at night. I could run this lower when we are working I suppose. beats oil!

As long as you are happy and warm, and most importantly your wife is happy and warm, then thats all that counts. As you said, it's still better than buying oil. And a nice little hobby to boot.

Looking good! Does that one roll out like the M55? I wish my Quad did! Stay warm!

I did a test on my M55 last winter and found that on heat level 3, feed trim 2, it burns 3.5lbs/hr and puts out massive amounts of heat. Downstairs was 85 with outside temps down to about 32F. This was in manual mode and I just let it run to see what the consumption was. At that setting I would burn slightly over 2 bags a day, but wouldn't need to do that unless the temps got down below 0F. Running on the thermostat and in hi/low definitely saves pellets and keeps the downstairs at 78 where we like it when we are home.

I noticed you are running in on/off mode. If the stove starts back up w/in 1hr of shutting off you might actually save pellets by running in hi/low. It takes a lot of pellets to start up and get the stove back up to temp. I have always figured the stove running on low for 1hr burns less pellets than a cold start and then the stove heating back up to temp. Try it and see what you think.

I am on hour 17 on one fill up, which is 60 lbs. looks like I might get close to 24 hours on a single fuel up. I am in auto mode, with the thermo at 75. This wold be about my estimate of 1.5 bags. This fill was mostly a bag of dry creeks. When I refill I will have this set to hi lo and see if there is much difference. It has been off for long periods as is near 50 out, though. I bet it is a wash.

On the next run I am going back to the gs though. I want to burn those through before I get into my stash of the good stuff. I have room with the settings to get these pellets plenty hot for now anyway.

Nice looking install. Congrats. I like the fact you left the FP cleaning tools there. I did a similar thing with my somewhat tacky looking gas FP. Got a decorative metal bucket and filled it with split firewood. Also dressed it up with a decorative yet functional (curious infant daughter) FP screen too. Kinda hides the fact its LP.

You've got nothing to hide there, though. Very nice.

I use the shovel to help push pellets into the hopper to pack it full, so those tools come in handy. In the lantern looking thing n the right is where my wireless thermostat switch hides. This way if the battery fails it takes 2 seconds to replace. I added a copper tub to hold about 80 lbs of pellets. It is rustic and has a lid. The wood box on the far left I got as a present when I was in kindergarten, and it holds some gloves and other cleaning items for the stove. Everything I need is right there in the scenery!

Very nice photo. That's a handsome setup. The Regency looks good with an ever so slightly Art Deco look to the window.

Very nice photo. That's a handsome setup. The Regency looks good with an ever so slightly Art Deco look to the window.

Never thought of the art deco aspect, but it kinda is. But in general it is a less busy look that the enviros. Very clean look.

Looks nice ..

Status
Not open for further replies.