New Harman Accentra 52i-tc installed yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scagger

Oct 4, 2008
Central MA
Well I finally retired my 18 year old Quadrafire Castille insert for a new Harman Accentra 52i. I decided to fire it up last night for a little bit and after about 40 minutes, all of my smoke detectors went off. I saw no visible smoke anywhere, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm thinking maybe they went off because of any oils/residue that may have burned off the stove?? I'm going to run it again today for a bit to verify there isn't any smoke. I might just open the windows and let it run for a little while to break it in. Anyone else have this happen before?

You are correct in your assumption. The oils, adhesives & paint used in the manufacture of your insert
all need to “burn off.” It can take between 4 & 8 hours for that curing to be done, even burning the unit on high. Open some doors, unplug the smoke alarms & let er rip.