new heat source...please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipraynor

May 17, 2011
MD
i just opened up my floor plan and added a second floor so i need to extend the chimeny, so i have deciede to adapt to either a wood burn stove insert or a pel, stove insert.

I DON'T SEE MY STARTING A FIRE!, BUT FLIPPING A SWITCH I CAN SEE HER DOING.

I live in maryland so, the winters are not that bad, but i live on the water and have alot of glass so i lose alot of heat.
I have a new HVAC with a fan to move the air around..

can you give me some advice on a large and effecent pel. stove..so far the harmen is all the local dealer has.
I NEED TO PICK THIS ASAP, so tell me what you love and what you hate.

if you think i will get more heat from a wood burning stove insert, say that too..

thanks in advance,
chip

Wood Stove Heat is Hotter. Pellet stove heat is even and consistant. Pellet stoves require a lot of Maintenance. Lots of work. Not as easy as "just fill the hopper and go".

On that note. I love pellet stoves. You can't go wrong with a lot of stoves. Some are easier to operate than others. And you will quickly find that people on here can be biased. Based on what they own. Everyone loves what "they" got. Which is fine. I love ALL mine. Harman is a good line. Quadrafire, Enviro, Lopi, Englander, Avalon, and St. Criox are all good also. I know I missed a few (whitefield, USSC, Breckwell, etc). The list goes on and on. They all have there place in the market.

So to answer your question. Yes Harman is Good. The P-68 should hear ANY house up to 3,000. I have heated just over 2,100 sq ft Ranch with my Qudrafire on its lowest setting for 3 yes (just got the other stoves in my sig the end of this season). Has served me well. Rarely do I ever take it up to Medium.

Many good units out there. Find something that you won't mind looking at for years and something that fits your budget.

Edit..... Here is a pic of my Quad upstairs.

Attachments

• Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 263
So this is an insert that will be going into a fireplace? Is the fireplace itself going to be on the main floor?

Pellet stoves are easier to use than a woodstove but still require you to carry pellets to them to fill the hopper. they also don't work when the power is out, unless you have a battery backup, in case the power goes out a lot where you are. I like Lopi, Breckwell, Harmon, Enviro, Whitfield to name a few..

Hello

There are many good wood pellet stoves out there, so one way to pick out what you want is by the features that they have.

Here is a list of what I consider the most important.

1. Large Hopper (Less time feeding the stove)
2. Automatic Hi/Lo using a thermostat (In the cold winter days this feature will keep the temperature where you want it!)
3. Multi-fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.