New HeatnGlo Northstar Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goater32

Sep 26, 2012
Madison WI
www.facebook.com
Hello there. Thank you for all your help in my other forum. So fireplace is installed and have been burning pretty much every night since Nov. 2nd and love it. Couple issues that I think I must be doing something wrong.

1. When reloading wood, My temp drops quite a bit. If I reload around 350F after closing things back up I will drop to 300f or less.
2. I have been burning around 400-450 most of the time. Magnetic therm on the front of the fireplace as I can't find a better place. Is that good.
3. If 450 isn't hot enough how can I get temp up higher.
4. How long should a secondary burn last on 3 8" splits. Normally getting 3 hours or so.
5. Was up on the roof hanging Christmas lights and checked the chimney, looks pretty black on the inside, and the chimney cap is a little blackened. not sure how that is possible, as I know I have good wood. Moisture reading comes in around 16% it has the dry wood sound when banging pieces together, and it burns in my mind pretty darn good.
6. I think I wasn't burning hot enough before I got the therm as I was worried about overfiring, and I can fill it up with about 4 large splits or 7 smaller ones and wake up in the morning to a temp around 250 or so. Is this on par with others.

Thanks in advance and heres to burning wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.