New here with a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerslayer

Feb 9, 2010
Delaware
Hello from De. I have been enjoying reading through the forum the last few days. I grew up around wood stoves, alot of my family had them, my father still uses a woodstove for his only heat source for his home. I, have been without a home with a woodstove for many years, I do miss the heat, but I dont miss the mess ect that comes along with a woodstove in a home. I currently have a detached workshop, 12'X24' it is 2x4 construction with 3/4" plywood floors. I have sheeted the inside walls with 1/4 plywood, no insultation in the walls, and I am getting ready to insulate the ceiling at its 8' height with 1/2" foam insulation board from lowes in 4'X8' sheets. I would really like to put a small woodstove in the shop, I know its not the best idea for heat since it will take a while to warm up the space, take up more room ect but I like the idea of having a woodstove out there. Kinda reminds me of working with my grandfather in his garage. Anyway....a friend of mine, is suppose to be getting me a "free" small woodstove from someone he know. This has been going on for a few weeks and I ahvent scene it yet! We have had a ton of snow lately so I am gonna give it another week or two and see if he produces it or not! If he cannot produce this stove I am gonna have to find one. I was thinking about getting one of the stoves from lowes but after reading on here it sounds like I should stay away from them. I dont need a very big stove since I am only heating 288sqft, can someone recommend a smaller woodstove, I am on a budget so price is a factor. I have been keeping an eye out on craigslist as well. I plan making a hearth on the floor using metal studs layered with 2-3 layers of backer board and then tile. Also planning on having to do similar to the wall to keep the heat transfer to a minimum to the outside wll. I am also figuring I should be able to go straight up with the stove pipe through the roof so I should be able to get a good draft, as well as keeping the cost down on the extra stove pipe from having to go through the wall. can some of you guys throw some suggestions my way?????? Thanks in advance!

First, i don't think there is anything wrong with the Englander / Summer's Heat stoves at Lowe's. Lots of people have 'em and love 'em. i'd buy the EPA compliant 13nc instead of the alternate non-epa compliant one. The 13 nc is a little more expensive, but the secondary burn capability that makes it EPA compliant is worth it - it will save wood and add heat output. i don't think it will be too much stove for your space; you'll need some heat output for an uninsulated shop.

Second, you need a tall enough flue to get a good draft - the fact that it is a straight run is good, but not sufficient by itself. i don't really know how tall a stack must be, but probably someone else will chime in.

Third, get some wood and stack it over summer. You'll need nice dry wood for a modern stove.

So far you seem like your on the right track. You could look at a Jotul602, and Enerzone 1.6 or if you want to go cheaper, watch for end of the year sales on Englander stoves from the big box stores. Also, I agree with piping straight thru the roof for a lot of reasons, so stick with that plan. Try to go new if you can. There is a 30% tax credit available but it is supposed to be in your primary home..not sure how it would apply to a workshop, detached also. Thats up to you anyhow.

I think the flue height spec for the Englanders is 15 ft from the floor to the top of the flue.

If the "free" stove come through I'd drop a few dollars on some sidewall insulation, buy it at a big box and get the blower for free or nearly free. Drill some holes and blow it in. Then almost any stove will work.

With no insulation in the walls, and only 2" in the ceiling, you better get the biggest stove you can afford. Cause that heat is going to go out those walls & ceiling as fast as the stove is putting it into the room.
Personally, I think your better off getting a torpedo heater, or something LP with a heavy duty blower on it. This will heat hard & fast. I think your going to have a hard time heating anywhere with a stove, when that space has no way of retaining the heat decently. How long are you going to spend in this shop? You may be walking away for the day/night with half a load still burning and going to waste. And again, with lil insulation, it may take forever to bring the temp of the space up. Especially on 20 and lower with heavy winds.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I currently use a small propane heater that mounts on top of a 20lb propane tank. Does a decent job and heats the shop for what it is. The building has a A frame roof, and I think once I close in the ceiling no matter what type of heat source I am using it should stay warm for as long as I am out there. As far as the stoves from lowes, the models I have seen in my area are vogelzangs or something like that(spelling) and I have been looking here and a lot of peaple here say they are not very safe ect. I guessfor the moment I can just pray the free one comes through lol! As far as my stove pipe and the height, I dont think the height will be a problem, from stove to past the peak of the roof should be a good 13' to 15' so I should be ok with that!

deerslayer said:
Thanks for the reply's guys. I currently use a small propane heater that mounts on top of a 20lb propane tank. Does a decent job and heats the shop for what it is. The building has a A frame roof, and I think once I close in the ceiling no matter what type of heat source I am using it should stay warm for as long as I am out there. As far as the stoves from lowes, the models I have seen in my area are vogelzangs or something like that(spelling) and I have been looking here and a lot of peaple here say they are not very safe ect. I guessfor the moment I can just pray the free one comes through lol! As far as my stove pipe and the height, I dont think the height will be a problem, from stove to past the peak of the roof should be a good 13' to 15' so I should be ok with that!

I think the Voglezangs needs 3 feet of clearance from combustibles in every direction or something like that. Probably not suitable for a home, but may be ok for a shop, especially one with concrete floors.

There's not an air control on those, only a flue damper, so it could get hot in a hurry especially if you insulate. They are pretty cool looking with the cook top and all and pretty damn cheap. Definitely check the fire code in your area no matter what you use but especially with one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.