New House and New Stove or Fireplace Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NJJOE345

May 18, 2020
NJ
Hey guys I have been lurking on this site for a little while now and love all the info and expertise. I am building a new home this upcoming year and am researching some options on either a high efficiency fireplace or wood stove. My current home has a Regency 2400 insert and an older Fisher Grandpa Bear. My new home will be around 3800-4000 square feet. I am not familiar with a zero clearance stove/fireplace as I am not looking to install a true masonary fireplace. What would be my best options for this new house? Some quick research I really like the look and size of a zero clearance QuadraFire 7100 but I see they are now discontinued. I love the bigger “fireplace” look of it. Thanks guys I am looking forward to some opinions and discussion.
-Joe

There are several options. Look at Valcourt, Astria, Quadrafire, Heat&Glo Northstar, Pacific Energy FP30, etc.

There are many previous postings on this same topic that may share some insight for the installation. Do a search on particular ZC fireplace brands that are of interest.

Welcome!

The first question to ask yourself - are you looking for something more decorative or are you looking for something that will provide a meaningful amount of heat, or both?

3800 sqft is a big house. If you really want to heat with wood you'll need more than one stove. Perhaps something "prettier" in the living room and something more functional (like a freestanding stove) in another part of the house.

How receptive is your significant other to wood stoves in general? Lots to think about here....

Reactions: begreen
Fireplacex.com 44 elite fireplace. I saw this one burning in a restaurant a few years ago, the waitress loaded it with 16" wood and built two "log cabin" style fires side by side. Its pretty big lol

I’m looking for both heat and “looks”. I am planning on moving my old fisher grandpa bear in a sunroom area of the house. So I’d rather not have two freestanding stoves in the house but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. My soon to be wife loves to burn wood so that’s not an issue. I’m trying to find something between efficient heat output and pretty. That’s why I’m almost leaning toward a high efficient fireplace. Some of the burn times looks to be 10 plus hours? Does that sound right? That’s what I’m getting out of my wood stoves now. Thanks for some input guys I appreciate it!