New insert- new to fire advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyer

Nov 18, 2010
Northern NM
I had the insert installed and breaking it in. It’s been rather warm but put a small fire knowing that it might be smelly. Opened windows.
Cleaned the glass today and will make another fire tonight. Closing the damper some during burning caused smoking (in the insert) Perhaps because it was warm outside? (low 50’s) Trying to break it in properly. Also called about wood prices. Yipes! Propane isn’t looking as bad. Still,
need any advice about proper seasoning of new insert.

Thank you

Milder temps will mean weaker draft and at higher altitudes it takes more flue to get a good draft. What is the insert make/model and how tall is the flue it's connected to?

Aboe 50F is an issue here, easy to get smoke inside. The way I solve it is to crumble up a few bunches of newspaper and fire that to heat up the flue.

For seasoning, I suggest just a few smal fires, slow fires. Try to keep them under pretty tight control for a while before you really open up the throttle. You want to do this to make sure everything is dry and settles in nicely and most important, the fireplace cement cures.

As for wood, its not cheap, we pay about $150/ cord green, to $175.... I get it in the spring and let it sit all summer to dry out. Also, $/BTU are hugely in your favor! Espically if you have to pay a service fee to the propane guy.

Although somewhat dates, check out this site: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf
Wood is cheaper. For me, a cord of wood is about $150/cord, that is about $8.90/million BTU, propane (lets assume $2.60/gal) is $19.47/million BTU.... just a comparison.... lots more factor in, but should help!

It's a regency Alterra but I'm not sure how high the liner goes up. It'll be in the 20's tonight so I'll try another small burn again tonight. I'm at about 7000 ft altitude so guess that's a factor too. I guess experimenting with wood, flue, fans, thermostats will occupy my time for the next days. I appreciate all the experience in here. Thank you

It's tough to dry truly dry wood this time of year. You might look into Bio-bricks or similar compressed wood products.

Status
Not open for further replies.