New Install ! Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBennett

Nov 27, 2010
Central CT
Hey Guys
Got the Big E installed and inspected . Cleared and burnin away.
I do have some questions though.
To the big e users how many bags are you using per day? I started out using Hammer's hot ones and went through the 1st 3 bags in a day and a half @ setting #3. The next 3 bags lasted about 2 days. @ level 2.
Switched to the Stove chow from home depot, and used 2 bags in 24 hrs. Half the time @ level 2 and the other half @ level 3. Is this excessive?
I am also unsure of the damper adjustment, as it seems that to get a good size lively flame that the damper is 3/4 of the way or more in. If I run it out more then i get a shorter almost but not quite blowtorch type flame. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• 100_3559.jpg
    100_3559.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 228
Morning, I also have the Big E and use the Hamer's as well. I use about the same as you describe. Don't forget the Hamer's are smaller in length than a lot of the pellets out there so more pellets will tend to pass through the auger. Have never used chow brand so can't compare. But the Hamer's do put out more heat! Cheaper, less btu pellets you will notice will be longer in lenght and you will tend to use less. The diameters of the pellets may vary but not really noticeable to the eye. I will say I do get 3 to 4 degrees more out of the Hamer's and to me its worth burning the few extra bags per week compared to using the cheaper brand pellets. The damper adjustment is just something you'll have to learn what works best for you, different pellet brands play a part in this. I would say on #2 I have the damper about 1/2 inch sticking out (not including the knob). Burning on #3 I generally open the damper about 1/8 to 1/4 more than burning on #2. I leave the house usally at 4AM and put the stove on #2 (to try and conserve pellets), it's enough to keep it around 70-72, once I get home I then put it back on #3, turn on the small fans and this will also keep my upstairs at 69/70 degrees. This morning I had 13 degrees out, basement was 78, upstairs was 69. Basement is not insulated so I have no complaints. I have in the past bought cheaper brand pellets to mix with the Hamer's but you get what you pay for. When the temps do go down to single digits and stay there I will burn the stove on #3 24/7.

Tony , what size/style is your house? What type of fans are you using and where did you locate them? I have an unconventional cape setup, with forced air, Trying to find the best way to get the air flowing. Thanks for the damper and usage info, now i dont tink i am doing something wrong.. How many ton a year do you use?

I have a 28 x 48 Ranch (approx 2800 sf counting basement) the stairs leading to the upstairs are off centered to one side. I put floor vents in each end of the house, use 6 inch fans that I clamp to the bottomside of the joist pulling the cold air down into the basement. I have a box fan sitting against the wall blowing the heat up the stairs leaving the basement door open or taking it off. Also have the ceiling fan on low in the living room. Have tried different variations but this seems to be the best for me. I usally burn 5 tons a year. sometimes more depending on mother nature. During early heating time (Oct/Nov) I will get a less expensive pellet to use and spot burn meaning I turn the stove on and off as needed. I use this time to try different pellet brands. Save the Hamer's for this time of year. And always look for early spring buy. I have a list of what works good for me and look for them brands during spring buy. My favorites are Hamers, Okanagan, Cubex. Still a few more brands I would like to try. Jtakeman who post here has done a lot of testing of numerous pellets which you can view the results here. A good source for great information. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.