New install Hi-Low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Dtml

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
CT
I had my Hampton GCI60 insert (same as Enviro M55 insert) installed yesterday, and this thing cranks out the heat. It was 20* last night outside, so I set the Hi-Low at #2 and it never got below 72* on the t-stat. I originaly set it at #3 with the t-stat at 71* (with a 3* swing), but the heat climbed to nearly 80*, and I never noticed if it went to low mode.

My question is when setting up for Hi-Low do you only set for the Hi temp, and the stove automatically goes into its lowest setting, or do I need to somehow set the low as well?

Should I be concerned if under the 20* outside temp I need to set the Hi temp at only #2.
On another note this is with burning stovechow, which most consider a shoulder pellet from what I'm reading.
The house is 2100sq feet, and the stove even kept the upstairs at 68*, so I'm delighted with the results.

Thanks for the help,
1D

Hi/low means that the stove will stay on 24/7. It will go to whatever heat level you set it at (#2 in your case) until the thermostat stops calling for heat. Then it will drop to low (#1) until the thermostat calls for heat again. Your problem sounds like the thermostat is not working correctly or it's not communicating with the stove correctly. So either the thermostat is not wired right or not working, or the stove is in manual mode and not in hi/low. Check closely because that little switch can be hard to see. I believe hi/low is the mid position on the 3 way slider switch.

flynfrfun said:
Hi/low means that the stove will stay on 24/7. It will go to whatever heat level you set it at (#2 in your case) until the thermostat stops calling for heat. Then it will drop to low (#1) until the thermostat calls for heat again. Your problem sounds like the thermostat is not working correctly or it's not communicating with the stove correctly. So either the thermostat is not wired right or not working, or the stove is in manual mode and not in hi/low. Check closely because that little switch can be hard to see. I believe hi/low is the mid position on the 3 way slider switch.

You were correct, for I just checked it and sure enough it was on manual mode.
I know I checked it after start up, but my eyes aren't what they used to be, or I somehow bumped it.
I just switched it to hi-low mode, so do I have to shut it down or is just changing the switch the ticket to success?
Thanks so much for the help,

1D

No shut down needed for that. YOu can switch and go.

If you change fuel type (premium, standard and multi-fuel) is when you have to shut down. But even that can worked around by just pressing the power button to shut down and then turning it back on after changing the fuel type. Don't have to wait for the stove to completely shut down.

Thanks again I appreciate it, and the stove is working perfectly now thanks to your help.

1D :lol:

Great! And to answer your other question...you should be happy to only need to go to #2 to stay comfy in those temps in that big of a house. Means you will use fewer pellets to stay warm. No problem whatsoever running it that low. Depending on the pellet, you might get a little more carbon buildup in the stove running it below #3. So some people will run theirs on high for a little while every day or two to help burn it out. I don't run mine 24/7, so when I fire it up, I'll run it on #5 for 30mins to 1hr and then drop it back to #3 and hi/low. This brings the whole stove up to temp faster. Otherwise it takes a lot of time to get all that iron heated up.

I just noticed something that may be of interest to other owners. When you slide the hopper cover back it sometimes rubs on the switch turning onto manual mode.
So my problem was user related, but it wasn't my eyes. ;-)

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.