New Keystone 3 month check over - doing great!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
First this is the second time in 3 months that I checked the cat and basically no fly ash or dirt or anything. Checked stove pipe and looked into chimney and basically just a touch of creosote - just a little on the side and when I say little almost nothing. Looking at the terra cotta chimney there is a little black on it but not like it has a bunch of crap hanging on the sides or anything - whistle clean from what I have seen in other pics posted on here. I am still thinking though about lining it with a insulated ss liner this summer to just improve performance and since it would probably help the chimney last longer

Sounds good Keith. The Keystone is a great little heater and burns clean. Lining the chimney to the same size as the stove outlet will help increase draft but sounds like your doing fine as is. What diameter is your chimney?

The terra cota part is square and looks to be about 6 x 6" but I would have to measure to be sure. I also need to get a new cap and stuff on top and extend it a couple feet to be 2 ft above the peak of roof

If your present liner is in good shape, I'd continue to use it. My clay liner was 8x8 OD with an ID of 6-5/8 square. To get my 6 inch liner in with a 1/2 insulation wrap, I had to have the clay liner busted out. My draft is much better.

My Keystone is a terriffic stove and is cranking out the heat tonight!

Good luck,
Bill

Keith, it sounds like you are doing things right!

I took the cat out to clean yesterday after we let the fire go out. It was basically a wasted step as there was nothing to clean! On the chimney, ours is SS up the side of the house. This is our 4th year with the Fireview and we've cleaned it one time and then it really didn't need cleaning.

Backwoods Savage said:
Keith, it sounds like you are doing things right!

I took the cat out to clean yesterday after we let the fire go out. It was basically a wasted step as there was nothing to clean! On the chimney, ours is SS up the side of the house. This is our 4th year with the Fireview and we've cleaned it one time and then it really didn't need cleaning.

Of course it burns clean, it's petrified wood! You probably are burning wood you cut and split back in 1958 lol.. It's so dry you have to humidify it or it will spontaneously combust if the temp rises above 60 degrees!

:lol:

Ray

You're off by a couple of years Ray. ;-)

If your tiles are 6x6 there is no way a 6" liner will go down without busting out the tiles like Bill did with his. I'd keep it as is unless you have cracked or broke tiles. How were you planning on extending the chimney? Webmaster sells Extendaflues that look pretty sharp or were you thinking of just adding another tile on top?

The extanda flues look nice so that may be the way to go. I really have to give the chimney a good look over in the spring and see what it looks like. That will be one season of burning the woodstove so I should be able to see what may be really needed

If the chimney needs work, you could get Mr. Jeff to hook you up--but he'll charge a flat rate of $5,000 :lol: Or, check out Curtis Chimney Service out of Grantsville, Md. They chipped out my inner clay liner, and relined with ss insulated.

Missed you at the hash on new years--hope you enjoyed dinner at whitegrass.

What was the cost on your chimney work - it looks like I would need to do the same. How high is your chimney??

I believe it was just over $2,000--I'll take a look at the receipt. My chimney is about 25'.

Status
Not open for further replies.