New LED 60 watt Warm White light bulb problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

My friend purchased 10 of the these light bulbs for her open kitchen/Dining/Living room area from home depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202668646/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=LED bulb&storeId=10051

She was using the old standard white 60 watt light bulbs recessed in the ceiling on one sliding dimmer switch.

Now the dimmer switch does not work very well with the new LED bulbs!

When the dimmer is all the way down they are still very bright. These bulbs are dimmable but states something about compatibility with a dimmer switch.

Is there a new LED dimmer switch needed here? ? ?

Attachments

• EcoSmartLEDbulb.jpg
    EcoSmartLEDbulb.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 165
Lighting Science lists the following compatible dimmers:

LUTRON
RRD-10ND, SZ-6ND, HW-RPM-4A-120, HxD-6ND, S-600PR-WH, DV-600PR-WH, TG-600PR-WH, Q600P, GL600, CN-600PHW, DV-603PG, S-600, S-600P, LG-600P, D-600PH, TT-300NLH, TG-603PG, DV-600PR-WH
ADRIANI AY600
Commercial Systems QSG-6P, LP-RPM-4A-120
Diva DV-600, DVCL-153P
Homeworks HW-RPM-4A-120, HxD-6ND
Interfaces PHPM-WBX, PHPM-WBX w/DVF-103P
Panel Module CTCL-153P, TTCL-100D, Grafik Eye
Radio Ra RRD-10ND, RRD-6NA
Stanza SZ-6ND
Ace
34050, 3027596
Leviton
6633-PL, 6684, 6631, IPI06-1LX
Legrand
DrRD4W

Hello Guys

Now we have a new problem. I picked up the dimmer and installed it. Then changed the adjustment so it would not flicker on low dim. Then the lights would barely dim! So I talked to the electrician at Home Depot who is a real licensed electrician. He asked how many bulbs on the dimmer? There are 12 EcoSmart LED bulbs in the recessed ceiling in the kitchen area on this dimmer. The living area cans are on a different circuit. These is a very new home so all 12 cans on this circuit go to one 15 amp breaker in the garage. Now my friend's brother wanted to get the brightest bulbs so no the exact same in the link in the 1st post. These 12 bulbs are 950 Lumens and 16 watts each for a total of 192 watts total ! !

The LED / CFL dimmer I got is rated for 150 watts ! ! ! The Home Depot electrician said that would make them violently flicker on low dim and they do!

So now what?

150W seems pretty low. What model did you pick up? Check the list I posted above. It looks like the Lutron Stanza SZ-6ND AND Diva DV 600 are rated 600W.

I've installed many Lutron dimmers (for incandescents) in the past, and yes...there were two distinctly different wattage capacities, so I had to take pains to read the package carefully lest I take home the wrong rating for my application. Sounds like the same applies with these that are compatible with the CFL/LED lighting. Rick

ETA: Seems to me that I found my local box hardware stores only carried the lower of the two capacities, but I found the higher capacity dimmers at a specialty lighting/electrical store.

I've installed many Lutron dimmers (for incandescents) in the past, and yes...there were two distinctly different wattage capacities, so I had to take pains to read the package carefully lest I take home the wrong rating for my application. Sounds like the same applies with these that are compatible with the CFL/LED lighting. Rick

ETA: Seems to me that I found my local box hardware stores only carried the lower of the two capacities, but I found the higher capacity dimmers at a specialty lighting/electrical store.

Hello

Yes, Home Depot only has the Low Wattage Dimmers

This is the one I got that does not work because it is only 150W for CFL/LED
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202746671/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=c l dimmer&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202887060

We will try an Electrical Supply for the Lutron Stanza SZ-6ND AND Diva DV 600 rated at 600W

Hello BeGreen

Well we found the solution and certainly not what we expected! ! !

The bulbs we had were made in Mexico and NOT ALL LED light bulbs are made the same ! ! ! !

We returned those 12 bulbs and purchased Phillips brand LED Light bulbs that were a little less wattage.

They do have a built in transformer and worked perfectly with the Original incandescent light Dimmer ! ! !

Someone at the Lighting store in Derry said that Not All LED bulbs work on dimmers very well even if the dimmer is made for CFL/LED lights ! ! !

Case Closed!

Hello BeGreen

Well we found the solution and certainly not what we expected! ! !

The bulbs we had were made in Mexico and NOT ALL LED light bulbs are made the same ! ! ! !

We returned those 12 bulbs and purchased Phillips brand LED Light bulbs that were a little less wattage.

They do have a built in transformer and worked perfectly with the Original incandescent light Dimmer ! ! !

Someone at the Lighting store in Derry said that Not All LED bulbs work on dimmers very well even if the dimmer is made for CFL/LED lights ! ! !

Case Closed!
Good to know. I have two from Lowes that I don't care for. I don't think those bulbs with compatibility issues should be on the marker unless boldly marked with a disclaimer. No one should have to pay so much for a lightbulb that doesn't perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.