New member has some questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
Well we had a old leaky wood stove in our basement growing up, but mom wouldnt let dad use it much do to it smoking up the house. I am in the process of building a new home and rather taking up room in our smaller living room with a fireplace I asked them to rough in for a fireplace in the basement. There will be more room and we plan on finishing it. I am hoping with one of the newer wood stoves there will be less smokyness issues.

So we looked at 1 place and really liked the quadrafires. And I really liked the look of free standing over a insert. I want to look at a few more places and compare and get pricing and such. We will be letting whoever we buy it from install it, but I will be doing the framing and brick/stone work.

Here are some pics of the new house and the basement design I am going for.(Sketch-it is a great program!) Hopefully this works I have never posted pics here and my work blocks photobucket so I had to find the pics on my phone then email the links to myself. If they don't work I will fix it this evening.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_6858.jpg

finishedlayout6a.jpg

finishedlayout6c.jpg

So to the questions....

1. Should I use some kind of insulation in the framing inside of the fireplace between the concrete and the concrete board? The rest of the basement will have foam board glued to the concrete then standard fiberglass in the 2x4 wall framing.

2. Right now if you look up the fireplace rough-in you can see all the way to the top. I would think that would make the basement cold. How should I deal with this and should I use any insulation? I was thinking of using concrete board like 2 foot above my fireplace opening to "cap it". You wont see it but it would stop air movement. But I am unsure weather you can use like bat fireresistant insulation or something else to help keep the cold or hot out when the stove it not in use.

3. What other stoves do you all recommend looking at? This will not be used as a primary heat source however I am planning on running a HVAC return right by it to help circulate some of the warm air. I want some heat from it but burn time is more my priority.

Thanks for the help!

fire blocking will have to installed inbetween floor levels eventually. Codes with the masonry will fall into place with air spaces and fire blocking so some of the views you have now will disappear.

I'm sure members will ring in on stoves they recommend, Mine is Jotul.

Nice looking frame so far, good luck with the rest and welcome to the forums!

Do you have a place to store wood? The lot looks pretty steep in back. Wood stored in front has a habit of walking away.

Matt

You mention your concern about smokiness inside the house caused by the stove, but I'd say it should be possible to run a wood stove with close to zero smoke smell in the house. A stove should leak no smoke into the house at all when burning, and only during reloading should there be a chance of letting smoke into the house. With a little practice you should be able to reload without any smoke at all in the house.

My Oslo heats my home - How long is the standard burn time you get with your 500?It shows it at 9 hours online.

The Jøtul F 55 Carrabassett looks promising! I like that look, fairly plain.

EatenByLimestone - The back yard is steep. We have a large porch going in and we hope in the future to install a retaining wall and be able to lvl the yard some.

EatenByLimestone - The back yard is steep. We have a large porch going in and we hope in the future to install a retaining wall and be able to lvl the yard some.

You can level using pallets/lumber and cement blocks, if the angle is not too steep. Then DO NOT lounge or allow the children to play on the immediate downhill side of the stacks. :p

My Oslo heats my home - How long is the standard burn time you get with your 500?It shows it at 9 hours online.

It says 9 hrs but I'm not quite sure where they get that figure from. On a typical winters day I will get about 6 hrs out of a load running at half air. The overnites I will get 7-8+ hrs waking up to a small bed of coals buried in the ash.

Blaze King Sirocco looks promising too with feet on it.

ok re did it so the pics show.

I really think the blaze king is my front runner now. 20 hours on a low burn is fantastic, plus it can make be opened up to make some heat. Its a bit mroe then I was wanting to spend but I think it may be worth it.

Ok so house is done and I have started working on the basement. I started framing for the fireplace.

IMG_7089.jpg

Before closing in, I would install piping for outdoor air kit. The Sirocco 30 should be available soon if not already; a CAT stove will help with longer burns and not drive you out of the stove room in the shoulder season. Down the road try to get floor vents to upstairs or some type of duct with inline fan pulling air from upstairs and blowing towards the stove. The next big thing is get working on a dry wood supply, you will need to stay at least 2 years ahead, closer to 3 if all oak.

Good to see that you are insulating the basement. Have you studied the alcove requirements for the stove of choice? What I see doesn't look good for a freestanding stove clearances. The Sirocco requires alcove minimum width 48”, maximum depth 48”, minimum height 72”.

Before closing in, I would install piping for outdoor air kit. The Sirocco 30 should be available soon if not already; a CAT stove will help with longer burns and not drive you out of the stove room in the shoulder season. Down the road try to get floor vents to upstairs or some type of duct with inline fan pulling air from upstairs and blowing towards the stove. The next big thing is get working on a dry wood supply, you will need to stay at least 2 years ahead, closer to 3 if all oak.

The plan was to finish the inside of the alcove then have them come out to do the stove pip install then finish the outside of the alcove. That was they will have easy access to add the fire break and all the piping.

Good to see that you are insulating the basement. Have you studied the alcove requirements for the stove of choice? What I see doesn't look good for a freestanding stove clearances. The Sirocco requires alcove minimum width 48”, maximum depth 48”, minimum height 72”.

I looked at the stove clearances it shows 10.75" on each side away from combustibles. There are no combustibles on either side. Its metal studding and Roxul that will be covered with brick over concrete walls. As far as vertical the pics may be deceiving. The ceilings are 9' and the hearth is 6 inches tall so I should have over 8 foot on the alcove. I saw the minimum alcove requirements, but then it shows minimum clearances that would be smaller...... So will have to look more into that.

You mention your concern about smokiness inside the house caused by the stove, but I'd say it should be possible to run a wood stove with close to zero smoke smell in the house. A stove should leak no smoke into the house at all when burning, and only during reloading should there be a chance of letting smoke into the house. With a little practice you should be able to reload without any smoke at all in the house.

+1. This was my wife's big concern (she grew up with her dad running a smoke dragon, basement still smells like smoke/creosote even though he hasn't burned in about 5 years) and it's been great. Only time we get a smoky smell is if I turn the air down too quick and it starts to smolder (not sure why... more smoke out the chimney and the stove pulling it in through my leaky windows maybe?)

I looked at the stove clearances it shows 10.75" on each side away from combustibles. There are no combustibles on either side. Its metal studding and Roxul that will be covered with brick over concrete walls. As far as vertical the pics may be deceiving. The ceilings are 9' and the hearth is 6 inches tall so I should have over 8 foot on the alcove. I saw the minimum alcove requirements, but then it shows minimum clearances that would be smaller...... So will have to look more into that.
What will be the width of the area between the metal studs after the brick and backer board is up?

No combustibles is good. What will be the width of the area between the metal studs after the brick and backer board is up?

Here are some pics of the new house and the basement design I am going for.(Sketch-it is a great program!) Hopefully this works I have never posted pics here and my work blocks photobucket so I had to find the pics on my phone then email the links to myself. If they don't work I will fix it this evening.

I am an appraiser and have "Sketch-It". Where did you get "Sketch-It" , are you an appraiser?

No combustibles is good. What will be the width of the area between the metal studs after the brick and backer board is up?

About 44 inches..... Which is smaller then there minimum alcove requirements. I am going to call them next week. I believe there minimum requirements are based on a wooden alcove. Since mine is all cement and with no combustibles I am not sure I would fall under there normal requirements. The closest combustibles on the sides will be 3 foot away on each side well past the 10.75" requirements. And like I said height wise will be over 8 foot to any combustible.

I am an appraiser and have "Sketch-It". Where did you get "Sketch-It" , are you an appraiser?

I am not an appraiser. Sketch-it is a free program available to anyone. I first used it when designing the basement area my fish tank was going in, in my old house. Worked well enough I use it instead of autocad a lot of times for simple stuff.

About 44 inches..... Which is smaller then there minimum alcove requirements. I am going to call them next week. I believe there minimum requirements are based on a wooden alcove. Since mine is all cement and with no combustibles I am not sure I would fall under there normal requirements. The closest combustibles on the sides will be 3 foot away on each side well past the 10.75" requirements. And like I said height wise will be over 8 foot to any combustible.

With 44" finished dimension I think you will be fine. Those clearances are to the nearest combustibles and there are none here. Looks are deceiving me. I was guessing the hearth to be about 8' wide which makes the unfinished alcove look like it's about 30" wide.

Will there be a stove or fireplace on the first floor too or just in the basement?

No the whole hearth is like 112 or something like that. And the wood stove wont be pushed all the way back. I want it sticking out of the alcove a little bit.

And nothing on the main floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.