New Member - Just had a Hampton CGI60 Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

handymanCT

Nov 18, 2011
Southern CT
Hello all I just upgraded my fireplace insert. I had an old Citation Wood/Coal insert that I bought in 1985, I just replaced it on Monday with a Regency/Hampton CGI60 pellet insert. My local dealer had the factory rep in over the weekend and was offering a 10% discount. I had been thinking about upgrading for at least the last year but the 10% off and the government rebate finally convinced me it was time. I've only been burning it a few days but I have to say that this thing can heat my whole house with no problem. In fact it can do it in this weather on the lowest setting! Impressive. I've turned the boiler off on Monday and don't plan to turn it back on anytime soon. I picked up 1/2 Ton of Cubex pellets and brought them home in the back of my pickup. The dealer gave me 2 free bags of Curran's but I wasn't all that impressed. I also have a skid of Okanagan's coming Wednesday. Ohh and a SkyTech thermostat should be here Wednesday too.
Thanks to JT for the 2011 pellet report! Lots of great information in there.
I look forward to being part of this community

HandymanCT

photo.JPG

Wow, Thats a nice looking stove! ;-)

Welcome aboard, We have some members that have the sister stove(M55 cast) And I'm sure they will be along in a bit. So your in good company for tweaking and info sharing!

Nice looking insert. At first I thought it was a wood buring insert and I was saying "what the heck, a new model and I didn't know about it". If this pellet insert is anything like its brother wood burner, you are going to love the comfort from it.

WOW! That is a nices looking insert. I LIKE IT!!

That really is a nice looking unit. I feel kinda bad that I overlooked it, didn't know the Enviro M55 had a twin.

Good luck with it.

Wow, that is really a good looking insert!!

Happy Burning, HandymanCT!!

Welcome and that looks great! I also like the brick work there.

Very nice ...

good stove, good pellets, good heat. Looks like you are all set. Anyone who can heat their home on low is doing darn good. I keep preaching, insulate, and insulate again. Only real way to conserve and prevent heat loss.

very nice stove. Welcome to the forum. Many enviro lovers here. your in good company.

Great looking stove......love to see some pics of it burning. BTW, I hope the end of that power cord that we can't see has a good quality surge protector on it.

Congrats, and enjoy the heat!

PS.....I agree on the Curran's....not a good pellet.

Very nice indeed!
Let us know how you like the thermostatic control, and any other info you would like to share, for I'm thinking of this unit myself.

1D

The thermostat has been installed for a week now -- The dealer put in a SkyTech 3301, it does the job but I'm not overly impressed with it. First off its not programmable, when I was running my HHO system I had a programmable thermostat that i could set back for night and day when I'm at work. The 3301 is just a basic thermostat, yeah you set the stove on auto and it fires up automatically when it calls for heat. At this point I have it mounted on the wall just out side my master bedroom door and set at 69 with a 2 degree swing -- So for the stove to kick on it has to drop to 67 and to kick off it has to go to 71. Not sure I'm liking that, I may change it to a 1 degree swing. 71 at the bedroom door is fine but that brings the living room and kitchen up to toasty 72 or 73. If i don't want the stove turning on at all I take the thermostat out of the wall holder and place it on a shelf at the end of the hall that's about 6 feet off the floor, its warm enough up that high that it never calls for heat. If I want it to fire up the stove I place it on a table at the end of the hall about 2 feet off the floor. This all works but I don't want to have to think about it, so I'm leaning to the 5301P and changing the swing to 1 degree. What do you guys think? Anybody know if I have to change out the receiver connected to the stove? I'm guessing maybe that the receiver for the 3301 would work with the 5301P.
Ohh the CyberPower UPS should be here today.

handymanCT said:
The thermostat has been installed for a week now -- The dealer put in a SkyTech 3301, it does the job but I'm not overly impressed with it. First off its not programmable, when I was running my HHO system I had a programmable thermostat that i could set back for night and day when I'm at work. The 3301 is just a basic thermostat, yeah you set the stove on auto and it fires up automatically when it calls for heat. At this point I have it mounted on the wall just out side my master bedroom door and set at 69 with a 2 degree swing -- So for the stove to kick on it has to drop to 67 and to kick off it has to go to 71. Not sure I'm liking that, I may change it to a 1 degree swing. 71 at the bedroom door is fine but that brings the living room and kitchen up to toasty 72 or 73. If i don't want the stove turning on at all I take the thermostat out of the wall holder and place it on a shelf at the end of the hall that's about 6 feet off the floor, its warm enough up that high that it never calls for heat. If I want it to fire up the stove I place it on a table at the end of the hall about 2 feet off the floor. This all works but I don't want to have to think about it, so I'm leaning to the 5301P and changing the swing to 1 degree. What do you guys think? Anybody know if I have to change out the receiver connected to the stove? I'm guessing maybe that the receiver for the 3301 would work with the 5301P.
Ohh the CyberPower UPS should be here today.

Excellent information!
Are the thermostats that you are mentioning the ones on the manufacturers website here (found under "accessories" tab):

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Pellet/Pellet-Stoves---Inserts/GCI60.aspx

If so is the programmable one the one that you are hoping to convert to?

You imply that the stove needs to be set up for each different model thermostat before it will work properly, so does the stove need to be ordered in a certain configuration at the dealer?

I will be ordering mine shortly as my building inspector has approved my install.

Thank you for all your help, for it is much appreciated.

1D

No the thermostat is not from the manufacturer they are from SkyTech http://www.skytechsystem.com/thermo.asp?pi=353
The stove set up is to simply plug the 2 leads from the receiver in to the control board. Two red wires are already provided for this connection. Then its simply a matter of setting the switch on the stove to Auto/Off.
That's it the thermostat will do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.