New Member - Quadra-Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eatonpcat

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2011
Eaton Township, Ohio
$3.00 a gallon for propane, So it seems like I need to find a supplemental heat source.

Most likely going to purchase a Quadra-fire Mt Vernon AE insert. Any reviews from the stove Gods??

I also like the Enviro M55 insert, But think I have my mind made up with the Quadra.

Pellets, pellets, Pellets... Who knew this would be so complicated??

Thanks for any thoughts

I've had a Mount Vernon AE Insert for the past three winters and have had absolutely no problems with it. My wife had the final approval and she gave it the thumbs up because of the looks, the programmable thermostat, and the battery back up option. The only thing I really want to add this summer is an outside air kit option that runs up through the chimney. On really cold days, the unit cranks out the heat, but also pulls a lot in from outside making the room feel drafty. My friend has the exact same layout but with a Harmon insert and the OAK seems to address the issue.

Bottom line is I've been very pleased with the unit and am saving a lot of money (I have heating oil) while staying warm.

Good luck with your purchase!

Eatonpcat said:
....Most likely going to purchase a Quadra-fire Mt Vernon AE insert. Any reviews from the stove Gods??
I also like the Enviro M55 insert, But think I have my mind made up with the Quadra.

Don't be too hasty......do a search of this site on both stoves before making-up your mind. The Enviro is a very nice stove.

imacman said:
Eatonpcat said:
....Most likely going to purchase a Quadra-fire Mt Vernon AE insert. Any reviews from the stove Gods??

Don't be too hasty......do a search of this site on both stoves before making-up your mind. The Enviro is a very nice stove.

X2 on Enviro.. Are you a handy person?? Englander makes a great stove. They have 2 new "Top Feed" designs. The 25-EP and the 10-CPM.
The 25-EP can be had in a insert version. Take a look. Has a Bay Window design and heats 2,000 sq ft.

My Quad says it does 2,200.. It does it on LOW in the dead of winter (76 degrees throughout the entire house)!! I am sure my 47,000 BTU stove could heat double the size of my house. (House is 17 yrs old. Good insulation, windows, etc)

1.) How many Square Feet are you trying to heat??
2.) Single story Ranch? Or 2-3 story home?
3.) How old is the home? Good insulation? Or no?

Sometimes spending money on insulating your home can have a better return. I am not saying DON'T buy a stove. Do buy one. You will not regret it. Maybe get a Stove and install yourself, or a cheaper stove, (Englander from amfm stoves) etc, and with the money you saved, Put it towards better sealing your house up?? Double wammy. Win-Win situation. If you have a new home disregard almost everything I just wrote. Just trying to get a feel on "What" you are heating. Need to know your lay-out. Before any suggestions really come your way. You may only need 30,000 BTU's... Or you might need the 60,000 BTU's... Need more info please.

Eatonpcat said:
$3.00 a gallon for propane, So it seems like I need to find a supplemental heat source.

Most likely going to purchase a Quadra-fire Mt Vernon AE insert. Any reviews from the stove Gods??

Thanks for any thoughts

I bought a Mt Vernon insert back in June and have only burned a couple bags through it before I shut it down for the Summer. However, I did a ton of research on it before I made my choice. It has the highest BTU rating of any insert, burns everything and the thermostat allows for a lot of fine tuning. Not to mention, the owner of the shop I bought it from has had one in his home for 2 years now. I love Summers in Maine (who doesn't?), but I'm looking forward to saving at least $1100. on oil this Winter by using pellets with my Mt Vernon.... stay tuned.

Earlyman

Daves said:
I've had a Mount Vernon AE Insert for the past three winters and have had absolutely no problems with it. My wife had the final approval and she gave it the thumbs up because of the looks, the programmable thermostat, and the battery back up option. The only thing I really want to add this summer is an outside air kit option that runs up through the chimney. On really cold days, the unit cranks out the heat, but also pulls a lot in from outside making the room feel drafty. My friend has the exact same layout but with a Harmon insert and the OAK seems to address the issue.

Bottom line is I've been very pleased with the unit and am saving a lot of money (I have heating oil) while staying warm.

Good luck with your purchase!

I will consider the OAK... I think I understand that with this the oxygen that feeds the fire will be sucked from outside. Thanks for the input!!

DexterDay said:
imacman said:
Eatonpcat said:

X2 on Enviro.. Are you a handy person?? Englander makes a great stove. They have 2 new "Top Feed" designs. The 25-EP and the 10-CPM.
The 25-EP can be had in a insert version. Take a look. Has a Bay Window design and heats 2,000 sq ft.

My Quad says it does 2,200.. It does it on LOW in the dead of winter (76 degrees throughout the entire house)!! I am sure my 47,000 BTU stove could heat double the size of my house. (House is 17 yrs old. Good insulation, windows, etc)

Sometimes spending money on insulating your home can have a better return. I am not saying DON'T buy a stove. Do buy one. You will not regret it. Maybe get a Stove and install yourself, or a cheaper stove, (Englander from amfm stoves) etc, and with the money you saved, Put it towards better sealing your house up?? Double wammy. Win-Win situation. If you have a new home disregard almost everything I just wrote. Just trying to get a feel on "What" you are heating. Need to know your lay-out. Before any suggestions really come your way. You may only need 30,000 BTU's... Or you might need the 60,000 BTU's... Need more info please.

Relatively Handy...I have a two story home that we built in 94-95 (2,600 sq/ft). I would say the insulation is average/good.
As far as what I need...I'm a little bit of an overdoer! If 30,000 BTU will do it, I want 60,000. For example, I have a need for a truck and 99% of the time I could get by with a Ford Ranger, But I had to have an F250!

Thanks for your input and I look forward to feeding off some more of your experience!

imacman said:
Eatonpcat said:

Will do!!

EarlyMan said:
Eatonpcat said:

Thanks for any thoughts

I bought a Mt Vernon insert back in June and have only burned a couple bags through it before I shut it down for the Summer. However, I did a ton of research on it before I made my choice. It has the highest BTU rating of any insert, burns everything and the thermostat allows for a lot of fine tuning. Not to mention, the owner of the shop I bought it from has had one in his home for 2 years now. I love Summers in Maine (who doesn't?), but I'm looking forward to saving at least $1100. on oil this Winter by using pellets with my Mt Vernon.... stay tuned.

Earlyman

I will stay tuned...Thanks for the input!

Eatonpcat said:
DexterDay said:
imacman said:
Eatonpcat said:

Relatively Handy...I have a two story home that we built in 94-95 (2,600 sq/ft). I would say the insulation is average/good.
As far as what I need...I'm a little bit of an overdoer! If 30,000 BTU will do it, I want 60,000. For example, I have a need for a truck and 99% of the time I could get by with a Ford Ranger, But I had to have an F250!

Thanks for your input and I look forward to feeding off some more of your experience!

Already thinking Ahead...... Double or Nothing.. LOL.. Always better to go BIG or go HOME!!. LOL

Does anyone know if a Qudra-Fire Mt. Vernon or an Enviro can be installed without a surround??

As you can see, The sorrounds will not fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0425[1].jpg
    IMG_0425[1].jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0424[1].jpg
    IMG_0424[1].jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 500
Eatonpcat said:
Does anyone know if a Qudra-Fire Mt. Vernon or an Enviro can be installed without a surround??

First you need to check the dimensions of your hearth against the dimensions of the Mt Vernon. You can get those numbers on the Quadra Fire website. You definitely CAN install it without a surround; however, the question is whether or not you can BUY the Mt Vernon without also buying the surround. My dealer wouldn't sell me a Mt Vernon unless I bought the $400. or so surround!!! I guess there must be a pretty big markup on the surround! ;-)

EarlyMan

My dealer sold me my stove with no door, door came 2 weeks later.
I had it all installed and had to wait for the door.

Eatonpcat said:
imacman said:
Eatonpcat said:

Will do!!

Besides reliability, I would some more criteria - sound and fuel flexibility. A pellet stove is essentially a small wood furnace. If the stove is going to be in an area where you hang out a lot, say to watch TV or read, the quieter the stove the better. Both of these burners are good choices in this respect. As far as multi-fuel, I don't have a lot of experience with either, but this is a good question to ask owners of both stoves.

EarlyMan said:
Eatonpcat said:

First you need to check the dimensions of your hearth against the dimensions of the Mt Vernon. You can get those numbers on the Quadra Fire website. You definitely CAN install it without a surround; however, the question is whether or not you can BUY the Mt Vernon without also buying the surround. My dealer wouldn't sell me a Mt Vernon unless I bought the $400. or so surround!!! I guess there must be a pretty big markup on the surround! ;-)

EarlyMan

Thanks...Prices must be higher up North, I was quoted a price of 199.00 for the surround. Stove, Surround, 30 foot vent pipe kit, installed, plus a ton of pellets for right at $5000.00!

As you can see in my picture, the surround on the little Sante Fe wouldn't fit so I had a piece of 3/16" or so sheet metal cut to fit inside the wood and outside of the stove. Then rebent the existing pieces of surround to fit. Painted everything flat black.

Attachments

• Sante fe.jpg
    Sante fe.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 412
tjnamtiw said:
As you can see in my picture, the surround on the little Sante Fe wouldn't fit so I had a piece of 3/16" or so sheet metal cut to fit inside the wood and outside of the stove. Then rebent the existing pieces of surround to fit. Painted everything flat black.

Looks good, thanks for the picture!!

Thanks! Thought it might help to know that Anything can be done, almost. :)

By the way, I love your ceramic ash bucket! I'm a hobby pottery thrower and can appreciate the work that went into it. Looking at your fireplace you might consider what I SHOULD have done. That is, get the heavy metal surround place cut shorter so that you can see some brick all the way around as an accent. You can glue insulation to the back of the surround plate to seal is as you lag bolt it to the brick/mortar joint

Status
Not open for further replies.