New Member with new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandhauler

Oct 17, 2010
Northern NY
After a lot of research on this and other sites I finally took the plunge and bought a Cumberland MF3800 Stove. I am using a 50/50 mixture of corn & Curran Renewable Energy Pellets. The pellet choice in upstate NY is not great. We cannot get the premium pellets like Cubex or Oakies. Anyone in this area know of any place to get premium pellets? Also is anyone else using a Cumberlend stove or have any experience with them.

Welcome to the forum sandhauler.

Maybe some folks who have a Cumberland Stove or live in the section of NY will come along and say hi.

I have no answers for your question, but I have a request: Let us know how the Cumberland works out for you... I have been intrigued by the design since I saw them a couple yrs ago at the Atlanta Trade show. Lots of heat exchangers = lots of heat... Now that being said, I would steer you towards burning pellets mostly instead of the 50/ (unless grains/agrifuel is more cheaply avail in your area)... I always found alot of the agri fuels to clump up bad in just about any burnpot, making for tons more cleaning!

Welcome aboard sandhauler. Lots of good folk around here willing to help. Plenty o banter too keeping it interesting.

Checked the website. Nice looking stove. Make sure an post some pics once its in an burning.......would love to see it all fired up !!!

hello fellow new yorker.. barefoot pellets a pretty easy to get a hold of all over my area. Last year I was able to get some Okies from BJ's wholesale club

sandhauler said:
......We cannot get the premium pellets like Cubex or Oakies. Anyone in this area know of any place to get premium pellets?.....

Sand, first of all, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can post a pic of your new stove.

As for the pellet situation, it's tough to help you since you give your location as "Northern NY".....that's a pretty big area.

If you live anywhere near Syracuse, Meneilly's Woodland Products is selling Cubex at a very good price, IIRC.

Meneilly’s Woodland Products
175 Whipple Rd
Bernhards Bay, NY 13028
(315)675-3530

Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

I actually live near Malone NY which is near the Canadian border. My neighbor sells corn for heating so I am experimenting with a 50/50 mix. I put a handfull of oyster shells in my burnpot once a day and that prevents most clinkers from forming. The stove had a faulty control box that my dealer had to replace. It really throws the heat and is very easy to clean compared to other stoves I have seen. I am going to try some Logik-e pellets that are sold locally. Would love to try some cubex or oakies but I can not find any close by. I will post pictures in the future. You can check out Cumberlands website www.cumberlandstoveworks.com

Welcome aboard sandhauler.

Can't wait to see the Cumberland in action(I like the looks of that stove). Very curious on how it does for you. :)

welcome to the forum sandhauler!

Yep- we need to see pics or it never happened ;-)

I just purchased 2 bags of Logik-e pellets & 2 bags of PA pellets to try. They seem to have decent reviews on this site. Even though I am spending more money, this experimental stage is kind of fun.

Still waiting for pics.......

Status
Not open for further replies.