New Pallet Woodshed during the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewood

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2008
NB Canada
With so much rain here in Eastern Canada this summer, my softwood got a bit moldy and didn't dry very well.
So I decided to start putting my softwood under some sort of cover. I could have just covered the ranks with
some old tin roofing I have, but decided instead to build a little pallet woodshed. It has been an amazing
weekend weather-wise. Perfect for this project. Sunny, slight breeze and about 25C.

I had a couple of large pallet / crate pieces, about 7.5' x 5', for my base and roof. I used 40" x 48" pallets
for the walls: stacked two together, 80" tall, with 2"x6" on the outside to keep them straight and rigid. The
shed will hold about 1.2 cord. Three ranks, about 4" apart.
009.jpg

I had some softwood splits by my hardwood stacks that I brought over in my tractor bucket. Just a little poplar
and fir that my dad and I cut off my own property.
004.jpg

It's half full here, and I put the tin roofing on. It's done - just what I wanted. All used materials. Total cost: $0.
002.jpg

My dad and I will probably build one more similar shed this fall. We've got some more white birch, fir and two
14" thick poplars to cut up before snow flies.

We cleaned up a little brush while we were at it. Before:
006.jpg

After:
0041.jpg

Looks good, all that wood your next one better be pretty big!!!!

I just built a "no cost" pallet shed too. Gotta get the camara out to share.
Great job!!

"All used materials. Total cost: $0..."

Must've taken forever to straighten all those used nails!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Great job.)

360° of air circulation, keeps the rain & snow off the wood, easy access, snow shovel ready.
"White lightening" in the jug to warm you up? :)
Great woodshed!
Good job

That wood shelter came out great and even looks decent! Great job and nice pics!

Ray

building is sweet....u gotta tell how u tied the pallets together....

I like it, it may be a little redneck, but all this wood stuff is a little redneck.

Thanks for the comments.

Cre73: I had a large shed about 6 years ago, 26'x16'x8'hi. Could put about 18 cord in it, with decent spacing. But it came down in a big snow storm - that's where I got my "free" material. Since then I've let my hardwood stay out in the elements, and my softwood wasn't a problem. Both got wet, both dried off and dried out. This year, with all the extra rain, my softwood didn't dry out well, but the hardwood did. That's why I built this shed - to keep the water off the softwood, and to let it keep working at drying out. Next year I plan to build a large garage out of logs where the original wood shed was. It will be 26'x32'. I'll have some room in that for all my softwood, plus some hardwood. It's quite a large project compared to the pallet shed!

Ken & Dan: The $0 was a simple goal. Yes, I actually did straighten some used nails, but I admit I did use some unused ones that were left over from building my house. Maybe I should have said, "no new cost, just stuff I had paid for already for other projects".

Got Wood: Yes, please post pics! I admit I'm showing off a little here with my pics, but I also wanted to show how it could be done for little to no cost. I've picked up so many ideas from Hearth.com, and I wanted to show my "tricks". Let's see how you did it!

Ray and Golf: I like both your sheds. I've looked closely at them for roof pitch, bracing, etc. Mine is facing south-ish, and will catch some good sun and a breeze.

Dave: Sorry - it's just Adam's Ale.

Steel Town: I had sketched out the shed and expected to just slide a 2x4 down the inside of the two pallets for each wall, and screw/nail them to the two outside 2x4 in the pallet. But one of my sons had scavanged all the 2x4 out of my scrap wood pile, and I only had some rough cut 2x6 left. And then I realized that I wanted the pallet wall 80" tall x 48" wide, and then the 2x4 in the pallet were turned sideways, that plan fell through. So I just nailed some 2x6 to the vertical outside of the pallets, and it is as strong as I could have hoped.

I am heading to work, and I'll detour a minute to take a little peek at the shed again (it's on my sister's 6 acres, next to my 6 acres).
"Vanity, vanity, all is vanity."
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.