New PE Summit insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky1

Oct 9, 2009
Ripley WV
New to the site. Great info. I have just had a PE Summit insert installed last week. I was wondering if any Summit owners ,or anyone else for that matter, could help me? On lighting my stove w/ air all the way to "start" I light shut door and fire extinguishes. But if I leave the door open until fire is "going good" about 5 min. and then shut door it works great. The wood is red oak been down and cut about 14 months. Once it gets going it will get around about 550-600 degrees and then I shut the air to Low and it gets to 750 and the baffle is glowing red and a great secondary burn and stays there. I open to all the way and the stove gets lots of orange-blue flames an secondary burn quits and the insert cools back to 550-600. Just wondering if this is normal or not and want to know what the best temp to keep the insert at so I wont damage anything. This thing is really hot and on just a little wood!! I had an old Taylor Made insert that makes me really appreciate the new innovative technologies available out there. Anyway thank you all in advance!! ;-)

Post photos.

Dont have any camera in working condition anymore. Time to buy a new one!!

Somehow I thought that would be the answer.
Just for your info, If you did have a Summit and you had it at 750 and opened the air all the way, it ain't going to go down in temp, that I can assure you.
Nice try, but I smell a troll.

Sorry you do not believe me. But that IS the very case. Not exactly the welcome I was looking for.

when you shut her down on a good load going hot (@500-600) i find my summit burns hot like that for a good 10-15 min, untill the EBT kicks in and she settles down... nothing to worry about, its just burning off the big rush of uncombusted gas that comes when you have lots off hot fuel with a sudden decrease in air intake. In short: its the 2ndary burn doing its thing. After 15, maybe 20, she will have settled down to the appropriate burn rate, smaller, slower flames, lower stack temp. A neat trick I have found on my Summit is my pipe damper that I engage when i wanna see a very good fireshow.. When you turn it down @ 500 deg stack temp, and shut the air down only 2/3rd the way, the amount of gasses being burned at once is incredible.

to the second point: if you open the air and heat output decreases? you must not have it stuffed full, as mine would turn me into toast like that... maybe if you only had a log or two... more incoming air than fuel...

I too thought that the fire should cool down after a little while. I just have finished my "break in fires" and figured I would try my first long burn and then it happened. Put 3 4-5" diameter logs on top of my small coals, shut the door and the air was half way, before you know it Lots of flame at 550 degrees! So I shut the air all the way sat back in my chair and the flames started coming from the baffle down about 2-3" beautiful blue flames. Than the temp rose to 700 mark on the themo and I started to panic , how hot was it going to go? So I opened it up and the flames came alive and I could see the air coming from the 6 holes on the lower lip air intake blowing back and the temp came back to 625-650 and then settled there. So I shut it again 1/2 way or so and it stayed at 650 for several hours. Finally at 1200 today the coals were all gone and temp said 200 and you could still feel heat radiating from the top but able to touch so maybe my t-stat is bad??

If your legit, my apologies.
Simple test to test your thermo is set your oven for a certain temp, and put the thermo in there. When the oven heats to the temp you set, check the thermo and see if it matches.
I use 2 thermos, and the very first one I bought was bad. The two read same temp when stove is up to temp and evenly burning all around.
Where are you placing the thermo?

Ill try that Hogwildz. Placing thermo upper right behind door.

Wacky1 said:
Ill try that Hogwildz. Placing thermo upper right behind door.
Good spot, I place mine on both faces up top corner just behind the door. Not many options with the insert.

Well I tried the oven thing..........off by 150 degrees!! I will get one make that 2 next time out. Thank again Hog!!

Wacky1 said:
Well I tried the oven thing..........off by 150 degrees!! I will get one make that 2 next time out. Thank again Hog!!
Glad it helped. Sorry again for my initial attitude. Have to deal with a troll here and there, so I tend to be skeptic than open armed. That is my deficiency, I live with it ;)
Make sure the pointer is not bent & rubbing against the face when you look a the new ones.

Hogwildz said:
Wacky1 said:
Glad it helped. Sorry again for my initial attitude. Have to deal with a troll here and there, so I tend to be skeptic than open armed. That is my deficiency, I live with it ;)
Make sure the pointer is not bent & rubbing against the face when you look a the new ones.

Thats alright. No harm, no foul. After all you did help. Just trying to figure out why now initially after I close the air, it heats up higher!! :exclaim: Less air less fire?? That is what I always thought. I guess maybe the heat is trapped in the firebox heating it higher??

Status
Not open for further replies.