New pellet burner with installation pics and a couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I am very impressed with everything I have seen on here so far. Thanks to many of you for your advice so far! Finally got the stove (P61A) installed on Friday. We are looking forward to seeing how it does this winter.

It looks like cleaning the vent is going to be harder than I had anticipated. I had envisioned taking the bottom of the tee off behind the stove and putting a small bucket underneath and running a vent brush through. The guy who did the installation said that I could get to the tee from inside the stove somehow. I didn’t fully understand what he meant but probably will find out when I go to clean it the first time. I have seen some homemade things on here with a tube that you put on a vacuum. Would that work to access the tee from within the stove? If so where can I get one since I don't have a lathe. I have also seen a vacuum attachment on the bottom of the tee that looks easy to use but I'm not too excited about making changes to the vent. What do you pros recommend?

Also, what is the purpose of the tube to the left of the burnpot that runs from front to back? Just curious because I couldn't find it in the parts section of the manual...

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1070102 - Copy.jpg
    P1070102 - Copy.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 435
  • P1070117 - Copy.jpg
    P1070117 - Copy.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 425
  • P1070125 - Copy.jpg
    P1070125 - Copy.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 407
Look into a Soot-Eater or Lint-Eater. They both will do 90* turns... Can be had for less than $30 on Northlineexpress..

Cant comment on the tube to the left..

2 things....
1.) Great looking install. You have a great heater. Also love the Selkirk Flue... Jealous guy right here... :)
2.) Make sure you have a good surge protector. Can see the outlet in the background. Do a simple search and many good results will come up.

Other than that, be prepared for the addiction that will follow with the burning of a Solid Fuel. It can be Wicked. My Wife laughs at me daily. It can be 100* outside and I will find a way to talk Pellets, Pellet Stoves, Wood, Wood Stoves, Chainsaws, Etc....

I know I told you in a past thread, but... Welcome. you are officially a Burner. Well Done. ;-)

DexterDay said:
Look into a Soot-Eater or Lint-Eater. They both will do 90* turns... Can be had for less than $30 on Northlineexpress..

Cant comment on the tube to the left..

2 things....
1.) Great looking install. You have a great heater. Also love the Selkirk Flue... Jealous guy right here... :)
2.) Make sure you have a good surge protector. Can see the outlet in the background. Do a simple search and many good results will come up.

Other than that, be prepared for the addiction that will follow with the burning of a Solid Fuel. It can be Wicked. My Wife laughs at me daily. It can be 100* outside and I will find a way to talk Pellets, Pellet Stoves, Wood, Wood Stoves, Chainsaws, Etc....

I know I told you in a past thread, but... Welcome. you are officially a Burner. Well Done. ;-)

Thanks! I already have been driving my wife crazy trying to track down different pellets to try. haha. I think I have also gotten on the nerves of a few Lowes employees because I keep calling to ask if they have Green Teams in. haha.

We ended up choosing Selkirk because of the sort of halfwall bump-out or whatever you want to call it behind the stove. I assume there is concrete or blocks in there and she didn't want to see the outside air going up the wall. I ended up liking the idea of the outside air being warmed up slightly. The installer didn't like the venting and said that it won't warm up the incoming outside air. He said he would have just not worried about the outside air. If I didn't go with the outside air I would have had to go up the entire height of the house and gable roof since we have windows well within the 4' range of the vent exit through the wall.

I am definitely going to get a good surge protector. Have you heard of anyone using the outlets that have surge protection built into them?

And thanks for the official welcome! ;)

i hesitate to mention this. because i'm a total nOOb. but i am about to get my first stove too and need a surge protector.
looked at the threads (four linked here)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58498/

i liked the isobar4 ultra mentioned here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43337/
the actual hd link seems expired so i just googled isobar4ultra.

but i am not going with battery back up aka U.P.S.
the specs on that are really good based on what the experienced folks here said.
but there is a lot of good info in those threads to help you start to sort out your choice.

The little tube to the left is an air wash system to help the inside of the glass to stay cleaner longer. Without it theinside of the glass would get dirty alot quicker.

msmith66 said:
The little tube to the left is an air wash system to help the inside of the glass to stay cleaner longer. Without it theinside of the glass would get dirty alot quicker.

I am curious now.... Since I haven't gotten into the guts of the stove yet, how does the air wash system work? Does it take a portion of the combustion air which in my case is piped to take in outside air?

Status
Not open for further replies.