New Pellet install and question about smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike16W

Jun 21, 2011
New Mexico
I am new to pellet stoves and have installed a Harman P35i insert. This week is the first time I have had time to try it out and I have a minor smoke smell in the room. Is this normal or should I check the connections, etc.

Thanks for any help

Mike16W said:
I am new to pellet stoves and have installed a Harman P35i insert. This week is the first time I have had time to try it out and I have a minor smoke smell in the room. Is this normal or should I check the connections, etc.

Thanks for any help

If you have a wood smoke smell you have a leak. Start looking for it.

If it is a chemical, paint smell it is the normal cure the paint smell, it will stop when the curing is completed (this requires a good high temperature burn).

There should never be a smoke smell from the stove inside the room you had it installed in.

Where your stove is brand new, I would be surprised if it is anything other than the burn in smell. I bought my Harmon P68 four years ago. I remember calling the dealer with complaints similar to yours. The dealer said it is just burning in, give it some time. I did and that was it!

Tom C.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to air the room out and then see if it still smells. If it does, I will check the connections and how good the stove slides up against the exhaust gasket.

Mike16W said:
Thanks for the replies. I am going to air the room out and then see if it still smells. If it does, I will check the connections and how good the stove slides up against the exhaust gasket.

Also make sure to crank it up! Need to "cure" the stove to stop the New Smell Stink....

Thanks, It's getting a little cold in the mornings so it gives me an excuse to crank it up. Love the heat and the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.