New pellet stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeky

Jan 23, 2008
SE Alaska
Thank you so much for your help in finding info on the Whitfield Renaissance pellet stove... we have blower issues & after hearing from "Mr Whitfield", we have come to the conclusion that we are in the market for a new pellet stove :(

I have researched the heck out of our stove... it was in our home when purchased 8 years ago, but they were manufactured between 1990-1994. Sooo, no control panel to be had :( We could get a rebuilt but then they are between $250 & $550 & seems only about 80% success rate?

Does anyone here know what the BTU rating was/is on the Whitfield Renaissance pellet stove? In shopping for a new stove, we'd like to get the same or better ratings on a new one... but I cannot seem to find the digital manual :(

So now we know what we have to do- shop for a new pellet stove. But here is our new-found dilemma:

The area where this stove has to go, is built very much to fit the size of the Whitfield Renaissance. The Renaissance also has the stove pipe coming out of the top... most I have seen now, have the piping out the back- which pushes the stove out even more. The tiled area is only built about 14" beyond the upper lip of our stove. With a stove much larger in depth- it will stick out further & enable little hands to touch the hot stove. (I have a licensed childcare & a 2 y/o must not be able to reach it) (adding a photo so you see our area)

The depth inside the built in safety fencing is 39". ---- I have searched & SEARCHED for stoves to fit, that will keep my house warm (I live in Alaska & use this 24/7 from Oct-May) I am having a very hard time finding any pellet stove to #1 FIT the area, #2. HEAT about 1500sf, #3 nice looking (would LOVE the cream color again if possible), #4 somewhat economical.

I know we cannot advertize here... not looking for that, but I am having a rough time finding what we need. I saw one we liked a lot (actually on ebay) and we were all set to go foe it but the dimensions were to deep. Other than that it seemed perfect! It is 28-1/2" deep and another 1" wall clearance.

If you've read this far-- THANK YOU!!!!! If you have any thoughts or ideas.. THANK YOU even MORE :)

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,004
Upland Pellet Stoves, 30K BTU. Colors in Cast Iron, Top Vent. Need Natural Draft though. On E Bay

Does anyone know of a website for upland stoves, they seem like a neat stove I was looking for more info.

I have made a couple posts on building a replacement control setup for the whitfield stoves.

I have two whitfields and both are running my own controls.

The cost if you can do your own will be about $150 for the parts and you should be able to get it done easily on a Saturday afternoon.

Precision timer co makes the needed control timers
Their number is (860) 399-6253 Speak to Jim

You will need two timers
A one shot to do the startup Part number 644B-GR5
A recycle timer Part number 646B-P15RO
A potentiometer Part Number KPM-1M-A

I recently posted a schematic on wiring this stuff into the stove.

For the most part this setup will work in most manual light pellet stoves.

Depending on the exhaust fan, convection fan layout and how they are used the schematic can be tweeked slightly to work with many many models and brands.

Its a basic set of timers that allow the on off time of the auger feed motor to be controlled as well as the convection blower and exhaust blower.

The one shot timer is used to bypass the low temp cutoff snap switch during a cold start up.
The main recycle timer controls the auger on time (adjusted to nominal and left alone) and the off time which is the heat rate or Burn time between auger feeding.

All the factory safety switches, over temp switches, pressure switches etc are retained and used.

Unless the stove is used up, worn out and basically JUNK, this is a great way to fix it and get many many more useful years of life from the stove.

Also you are not dependant on an obsolete control board that was, shall we say a bit sketchy anyway.

Here is the lonk to the thread I spoke of. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80023/

Notice, all the wires are colored to make setup very easy.
Thw wire and terminals are easy to obtain at most hardware stores or a Radioshack or ???
Use number 14 stranded wire with crimp on covers spades.
Keep all factory grounding as it is.
Keep the same rating of fuse/fuses as the factory used.
An inline fuse holder is fine or you can install a panel mount fuse holder.

The original control panel will likely need to be discarded and a new one made from aluminum sheet.

Most localities have a sheetmetal shop that can bend up a "Copy" of your original panel so that it will fit right into the stove as did the factory one.

Use switches that are rated for 250V and at least 20 amps.

Generally the fuses are in the 6 amp range to cover the total draw of the machinery.
The timers are rated at 120V 10 amps

***NOTE***
The Latchout relay is not absolutely necessary but a good idea. This will kep the stove from coming back on after a power outage.

You can use a One shot (644 series) with the remote timer pot specs. The timer has two spade terminals where the pot is supposed to go. For this application you leave the terminals OPEN.

Once the remote reset or start switch is pressed, the relay will stay in indefinately unless the power fails or the stove is unplugged. At this time the reset would ned to be pressed to restore power.

By leaving the timer function unhooked the relays time function to open the circuit does not function and the realy just stays on.

These are solid state relays with no moving parts, coils or other stuff.

As with most electronic controls they do draw a miniscule amperage even when the stove is not being used. (most things with control boards do)

We have a lot of electrical expertise here at the forum and we can get you through this issue if you decide to give it a whirl.

New stoves are a big exspediture for sure and fixing your old one is not that difficult.

Snowy

Dont know how deep the Quadrafire Castile is, but it is a pretty Cast Iron stove. Capable of heating your space. Pretty small and can be had in some nice enamel colors. Look it up on Quads website. . www.Quadrafire.com

gfreek said:
Upland Pellet Stoves, 30K BTU. Colors in Cast Iron, Top Vent. Need Natural Draft though. On E Bay

Yes, this is the one we are looking at ... what do you mean by 'natural draft'?

hank you sooo much for all your input! My husband just got to digging into the electrical panel on the Whitfield & found a WIRE was hanging loose. He put the wire back where it should be & it WORKS!!!!! So I think we are doing okay again, however, this just gives us a little more TIME to search for just what we need. We are STILL in the market if anyone has any other ideas for GOOD pellet stoves that are top venting :) At least now I can put a little aside and budget a bit so it's not a huge chunk of cash!

Thanks so much!!

HARMAN XXV has the top vent option.

Top Vent: Gives the wood stove appearance using 6" pipe (see image below)

Attachments

• xxvtopvent.jpg
    xxvtopvent.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 734
neat video's on youtube for the upland 207

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjDRDrMHa8

I really can't get over the claim of the clean window after 30 days of burning - sounds impossible.

After reading through this post I didnt catch the 'natural draft' part - thats interesting and caught my attention.

The reviews appear to be positive -->

http://www.wiseheat.com/pellet-stoves/NU-TEC_Upland_207

Maybe this no fan idea is the thing I've been looking for in a pellet stove - as I hate the sound of fans - I just want peace and quite (when the kids are out...if the kids are in I turn the fan on - antyhing helps :)

Maybe this no fan idea is the thing I’ve been looking for in a pellet stove - as I hate the sound of fans - I just want peace and quite

I agree. And auger noise. I also looked at the Upland, with good reviews reviews. Looks like a nice stove and QUIET. The natural draft was what killed it for me. It's rated for at Least 30K BTU & more..

...and it lacks a auto ignition - not sure why that would bother me...since I am always lighting the wood stoves anyways as it is with the torch :)

Buy an Upland stove so we can get some feedback here on the forum.

I'd personally shy away from them.

That Uplands looks awesome... gorgeous to look at too.

Status
Not open for further replies.