New stove burn in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
Just fired up the Jotul 602 for the first time. Great little stove! I'm still 'breaking it in', just finished the first of 5 break in fires as recommended in the manual. But man, what a stink. The manual claims that: "It is normal for new painted stoves to emit a smell or
even some smoke during the first few fires. This is caused
by the seasoning of the high temperature paint, and the
odor will diminish with each fire and eventually disappear.
" But this was quite a bit of smoke & smell. I eventually had to disconnect the smoke alarm. Good thing the stove is in a sun room or the house would have been smoked out.

Is this normal for a new stove burn in?

It's a good idea to open a couple windows and use a fan to blow the air out through the window closest the stove. It will be over soon. Once the stove has been up to about 500-550::Ffor a bit it will get much better.

That is why its nice to do a break in outdoors.

It's a good idea to open a couple windows and use a fan to blow the air out through the window closest the stove. It will be over soon. Once the stove has been up to about 500-550::Ffor a bit it will get much better.
Where do I take that temp measurement? BTW, the stove is broken in, I'm on continuous burns of softwood lumber scraps and the smoke has subsided somewhat but is still quite noticeable. But I'm sure it will burn clean soon enough.

I would take the temp on the top cook plate.

Sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.