New stove gone bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Nov 23, 2012
Guilford, Ct
So I bought a new Defiant 2 in 1 cat stove from my local VC dealer based on a very positive experiace with a 25 year old Defiant that has served me well for 20 years, that now suffers from cracked baffles. Anyway I'm still trying to eliminate some gasket leaks in the new stove, and I see a small crack in the casting that makes up the back of the stove. We're now 2 months after the purchase, and the dealer is out of business after about 75 years, so I contact the nearest VC dealer and they ask for serial number etc. Looking at the rear heat shield supplied with the stove which has the serial number etc, it's not for this stove.... it's for a defiant 1610 non cat. So I now have a (slightly) cracked stove with no serial number. The crack starts at the edge of the back plate, and is about 3/8" long, and is next to a small whole caused by porosity. It may never amount to anything, but it never should have gotten past q/c, and if it propagates any further, the back plate is done. The stove was a floor model, but I don't see that this should make any difference since were not talking about a few paint scratches. So it looks like I have no serial number, no local dealer, and no warranty. I'm usually not the guy that gets burned, pardon the pun, but I think this is going to hurt...

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer directly?

Try contacting VC directly, and explain the situation to them. They may be willing to help you out, given how their reputation has suffered under the previous brand owner. If you have a bill of sale, receipt from the dealer, etc, that would also probably help.

good luck! i had a year old dutchwest which i belive is the same company as VC. refractory pooped the bed..... Dealer:("sorry, VC sold out to a overseas company who wont warantee previous warantee claims") dealer wanted to sell me a new stove. hope you have better luck then me!

They didn't sell out to an overseas company. They were purchased out of bankruptcy court by Monessen Hearth of Paris Kentucky and still make the stoves in Vermont. Contact Vermont Castings and explain what happened to ya. If the stove was made in the last couple of years it should be under warranty. They are not honoring warranties for stoves made before Monessen bought the joint.

I tried to contact VC through their website and they offered no phone number just a place to email them, took them 4 months to respond and I had a question based on what they said and they never responded again. Thumbs down in the customer service dept in my opinion.

You say the heat shield has a serial.... Can you remove the heat shield and look at the back casting? That should have a nameplate with the model name and serial, UL certification etc.

If it is the nameplate on the back that says 1610 something really strange is going on....

I tried to contact VC through their website and they offered no phone number just a place to email them, took them 4 months to respond and I had a question based on what they said and they never responded again. Thumbs down in the customer service dept in my opinion.

Try these out:
Vermont Castings in Bethel, VT 802-234-2316
Monessan Hearth in Paris, KY (859) 987-0740

Reactions: etiger2007
So I bought a new Defiant 2 in 1 cat stove from my local VC dealer based on a very positive experiace with a 25 year old Defiant that has served me well for 20 years, that now suffers from cracked baffles. Anyway I'm still trying to eliminate some gasket leaks in the new stove, and I see a small crack in the casting that makes up the back of the stove. We're now 2 months after the purchase, and the dealer is out of business after about 75 years, so I contact the nearest VC dealer and they ask for serial number etc. Looking at the rear heat shield supplied with the stove which has the serial number etc, it's not for this stove.... it's for a defiant 1610 non cat. So I now have a (slightly) cracked stove with no serial number. The crack starts at the edge of the back plate, and is about 3/8" long, and is next to a small whole caused by porosity. It may never amount to anything, but it never should have gotten past q/c, and if it propagates any further, the back plate is done. The stove was a floor model, but I don't see that this should make any difference since were not talking about a few paint scratches. So it looks like I have no serial number, no local dealer, and no warranty. I'm usually not the guy that gets burned, pardon the pun, but I think this is going to hurt...
You do have a warranty. The local dealer means nothing. You have the contact numbers in this thread. VC should cover this.

Remove the heat shield and you will see a plate on the back of the stove that has all the info you need.

Thank you all for the suggestions and contact info. I just looked at the back of the stove with the heat shield removed, no s/n tag. Perhaps it was removed

Post photos of the heat shield and the back of the stove without the heat shield.

Here's a few photo's of the heat shield, and the stove back. I assume I don't need to install the rear heat shield if the stove is in a large fireplace.

Attachments

• Defiant 1975 001.jpg
    Defiant 1975 001.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 321
  • Defiant 1975 003.jpg
    Defiant 1975 003.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Defiant 1975 004.jpg
    Defiant 1975 004.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 284
You're gonna have to help me out. I do not see the crack on the back casting.

I didn't realize they put the stove plate on the heat shield on the 1610 models. I wonder what the deal is with that. The 1610 was the non-cat model of the Defiant from the previous generation. It makes sense that the new stove would use the same heat shield as the new stoves were based on the non-cat design rather than the cat model.

what about having it welded ?
Welding cast iron isn't easy, or possible, in a lot of cases.

Also, welding the stove should be the last solution. It is two months old. VC should cover this.

Reactions: milleo
Browning -
Thank you for your help with this. I included the photo of the back of the stove to verify that there is no serial number info once the heat shield is removed. I will have to get a photo of the crack once the stove cools down. (Yes I'm using the stove right now as the crack is not very large, and won't let air in.) I assume I'll have to ship the stove back to VC for repair / replacement.

Browning -
Thank you for your help with this. I included the photo of the back of the stove to verify that there is no serial number info once the heat shield is removed. I will have to get a photo of the crack once the stove cools down. (Yes I'm using the stove right now as the crack is not very large, and won't let air in.) I assume I'll have to ship the stove back to VC for repair / replacement.
I think VC should be able to work out something with a local dealer to have them come out and replace the back casting.

Here's a couple photo's of the stove back. Best I could do with my phone. I called VC directly, and they referred me to their website so I could find a dealer in my area. I called the dealer again and left a message. So far no reply...

Attachments

• Defiant 1975 015.jpg
    Defiant 1975 015.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Defiant 1975 004.jpg
    Defiant 1975 004.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 288
Here's a couple photo's of the stove back. Best I could do with my phone. I called VC directly, and they referred me to their website so I could find a dealer in my area. I called the dealer again and left a message. So far no reply...
Lots of stoves shops are closed Monday for some reason. Put another call in on Tuesday.

But, yes, I would be annoyed at that crack. It also looks like the casting has a chunk taken out of it on the right of the crack.

The 2n1 rear heat shield is standard so that is part of the stove. The serial # on that is your serial #. I am pretty sure the 2N1 was not produced until after MHSC bought them so I don't think you will have a problem with them saying it is not warrantied. When comes to the dealer it the worst time year and they are probably sick of VC already and just keeping them around with dreams of them coming back around. So if you like movies take Dalton's advice from Roadhouse be nice.

So if you like movies take Dalton's advice from Roadhouse be nice.
Or take your shirt off, wear skin tight jeans, fight in slow motion, and rip out your opponents throat.

Also, getting some blond highlights wouldn't hurt.

Lots of stoves shops are closed Monday for some reason. Put another call in on Tuesday.

But, yes, I would be annoyed at that crack. It also looks like the casting has a chunk taken out of it on the right of the crack.

I believe that void is 'as-cast'. The upper right part of this back though is missing a chunk on the lip. Just a poor quality casting. You definitely need to get on them to replace that.

Or take your shirt off, wear skin tight jeans, fight in slow motion, and rip out your opponents throat.

Also, getting some blond highlights wouldn't hurt.

Now this is funny stuff!

Smokey , are you sure it is the 2N1 ? A picture of the inside would verify which model. Also would be interested if on the tag if it said CFM or MHSC.

and BrowningBar I am still laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.