New stove installation....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys....

Well, last spring I started finishing my basement. Considering I barely knew what a hammer was, I think I did OK. I insulated (R10 polyurethane spray on the foundation wall and R14 between my studs), framed, wired, gyprocked, plastered and painted! Then I installed the mouldings and flooring, what a time. This is my first house and I wanted to do the basement.

I also installed my new stove (sent to me by the factory after a long fight last spring concerning a smell from my stove, I won! It was defective..).

Now I need to add my decorations, furniture, etc. It's finally coming together.

First fire was this afternoon, curing the paint ASAP. 7 seasoned cords of wood to burn this winter!

Here are some pictures.

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF0013 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0013 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCF0014 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0014 (Medium).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 713
Good idea with the fan in the window. I just repainted mine and have had a few fires to get rid of the curing paint smell, and glad I did it now.
Nice basement!
I think you have most of the essentials down there. TV- check, Stove-check, comfy seating arrangements-check.
Maybe the addition of a small (or large) fridge to house your favorite beverage?

Congrats on the project!

In spite of being a guy that was a stranger to a hammer you did a fine job.

Thanks for the comments..

The basement was a TON of work. However it was very rewarding (the learning) and saved a significant amount of $ (labour of contractors).

Drop ceiling will be installed this winter. Here are a few more pics of the basement..not too bad for an amateur.

I did get an electrician to double check my wiring and plug it into the panel, I don't wanna mess with that for insurance reasons.

A.

Yes it is a small world. St Lazare is a great place to live, especially if you have children. We love country living and only being 25 minutes from downtown Montreal.
Where are you in Quebec?

Ha ha. That flat screen was my "I am proud of myself and saved thousands in labour finishing the basement myself" gift. LOL 120 Hz, Samsung 600 series. Nothing overly fancy but it's nice. Best bang for your buck if you ask me.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.