New Stove, Old Set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
So let's think ahead 30 years, (well, maybe 20).........................zip.....................here we are in 2030! (time warp).

I've decided to take out my current wood stove, and replace it with a new one. I want to use my existing pipes (let's presume they are not in NEED of replacing, which may or may not be reality, but let's "pretend" ok?) and so I realize (in my case) that I need a stove that has the opening for the pipe, on the top.

Now what..........what else must I consider? The pipe is a "telescoping" pipe, so therefore, any distance variance would be adjustable. Naturally, the shape of the hole on top (and diameter) will have to match up to the pipe, or I'll have to get some sort of adapter I suppose.

What else? I will have to consider selling the old stove, or taking it to the Recycle Center, or the wife will want to make a planter out of it, in the back 40 somewhere. Otherwise, would the new stove pretty much be "plug-n-play" (if you will) or are there other things to think about?

-Soupy1957

Obviously the new stove will have to have the same clearances to combustibles or less.

Your new hydrogen heater won't require a chimney, just a water drain that will recycle the water vapor into drinking water. The paper thin display panel on the front will produce realistic looking flames reminiscent of back when wood burning was legal and the soft convection heat will not have clearance to combustibles requirements.

BrotherBart said:
Your new hydrogen heater won't require a chimney, just a water drain that will recycle the water vapor into drinking water. The paper thin display panel on the front will produce realistic looking flames reminiscent of back when wood burning was legal and the soft convection heat will not have clearance to combustibles requirements.

I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

BrotherBart said:

And BB still will not have used his pellet stove that he's storing in the closet.

:lol:

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
And BB still will not have used his pellet stove that he's storing in the closet.

:lol:

Matt

By then it will have been long gone. In the estate sale.

Does the word "hyjack" have any bearing here??????????

-Soupy1957

Not when you are trying to guess what a new wood stove will be like thirty years from now.

Ok, let me try it THIS way..........

Laying aside the changes that could come down the pike, .........let's assume for a moment that there are still wood stoves to be HAD, 30 years from now........and still wood available for burning. Let's further assume that the regulatory commissions that will exist in those days, have not outlawed the burning of wood in residences.

Now let's get back to the topic, shall we, hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Awe hell.............let's not, and say we did.................geez!

-Soupy1957

I want one of those new BB stoves !

Woodstock stoves are still favored by many, but now the go-to stove that everyone wants and is raving about is the Vogelzang Oil Drum Classic which features a triple burning technology for the best clean burn ever.

Folks at Hearth.com still warn newbies from buying Vermont Castings stoves since they've only been owned by the same company for the past 19 years and folks still aren't sure if they'll stand the test of time . . . meanwhile VC is the number one seller of cast iron stoves in the US . . . for the past six years.

The Stihl vs. Husqvarna chainsaw debate has ended . . . now everyone is buying the Hanmesoto Chainsaw made in China.

Speeco and MTD merged and now the company that makes their splitters is simply called STD.

Backwoods Savage and Firefighterjake still debate the merits of splitting horizontally vs. vertically . . . even though everyone is now using the Fiskars Laser Splitting Ax.

Folks still continue to come to Hearth.com and ask if folks can identify a certain type of tree or wonder if they will be able to burn the wood next month . . . that they just cut down last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.