New stove smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsk

Sep 12, 2011
Eastern ct
Burning the stove outside before install really isn't an option.

So would a slow burn for a couple of days get rid of any nasty smells without stinking up the whole house or do I need to send the wife away for a few days and let er rip?

I don't have the Enviro as you do, but instead a Quadrafire Castile. Ours was first "lit up" during a hot August with the window open. We did not have any objectionable odors.
Hopefully fellow Enviro owners will chime in.

At the very least open a window while the outside temps are still somewhat mild and test it to be sure it functions ok.

send the wife, the kids, the cat, the dog, everyone away.

it stinks. made my eyes water and my throat close up. only after did i see the small piece of paper that came with the stove warning me of the first fire fumes.

seriously, open all the windows and if you can setup a fan to draw out with air.

it took a couple of hours for the stove to cure.

The Owners Manual of our stove said something about the "possible" smells that can come from the stove during a "first burn" situation.

Considering that possibility a potential reality, I opened a couple of windows that first day. Never DID "smell" anything unusual. A non-issue for us.

-Soupy1957

I just did mine a few weeks ago. Yeah it stinks for about 2 hours or so. I got a headache. Mine was in my living room, so I went and played on the internet for a few hours in the back bedroom (have a tv in there too). Had windows/doors open. After the two hours though there's little to no smell. I re-lit mine that evening, and there was nno smell at all.

I would let r rip! Open a few windows and send the family outside.

I was able to burn mine outside for a couple hours on high before installing it.

But like others said, it may not be that bad or it could stink to high heavens.

i had mine going in August 80 degrees outside.
set the thermostat to 85 for an hour..
both sliders and all windows open...
i went to the pool...lol
it stunk for about an hour..
last week it got down to 35 here for 2 nights, fired it up with no smell at all...

I have an enviro that I had installed last week and it definitely stunk for a good hour after firing it up. I haven't been about to fire it up for a nice long burn because its been too warm but I plan on doing so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.