New to forum & pellet stove's in general, need pointers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris03079

Dec 7, 2007
southern NH
Hello everyone,
My family is looking into buying a corn/ wood pellet stove we have looked @ a few and think we have narrowed it down to 2 and not sure if they would be a good choice or not.
they are the Breckwell Big "e" or England's Stove Works 49-SHC22. Are these decent stoves? are there issues I need to be aware of?
Exhaust would be straight through ceiling exiting on 3' wide roof for first floor. Would i need to continue pipe up past the second floor roof for draft?

Sq. ft. 1900 (downstairs aprox. 1000Sq. Ft. open concept main living area)
looking to cut down or eliminate if possible oil heat forced hot water downstairs.

Thats about all for now, I am sure I will have more questions as we go.

Thank you in advance,
Chris

Hi Chris, you may want to check out the stove review section of the site.

There are a number of people here who burn an England, and a couple with the Breckwell.

You may want to down load the manuals for the stoves you are considering and check their venting requirements.

Cheers

Kenny

Both of those brands are good stoves. I would recommend going up with the chimney. Pellet stoves burn very clean but can still soot up the side of a house and having a good draft will help in a power outage situation. It appears from Breckwells manual atleast, that the install like you described would be code compliant though. As for the effectivness of the appliance for whole house heating this depends heavily on exact floor plan, stove placement, insulation factors, etc.

I'm sure if Shane says they're both good stoves then they are.
I would go with the ESW just because the support here on the forum is
absolutely outstanding. Just look around and you'll see what
I mean. Good luck whatever you choose.

That's a good point web, several units that are approved to burn corn are approved for the infamous 50/50 mix that builds clinkers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.