New to me Fisher Baby Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomseal6

Burning Hunk
Aug 21, 2019
MI
I like my fisher grandpa bear so much that I bought a baby bear today for $300. It also has the screen. Its going in my basement and will save me roughly $250 a month not having to use electric heat.

I'll post some pictures when I get it together

Does anybody happen to know what year this baby bear is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-202633_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-202633_Facebook.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 200
Need a better picture to answer both questions. Can’t tell if it has angle iron corners.

No Baby Bears had a screen.
Bricks are 4 1/2 X 9 X 1 1/4

That is quite rare. It could have been requested special, or was built as a rear vent if there are signs of an original vent on the back. Coming with a screen is the sign of a modification as well.

I've talked my son into putting a baby bear into his cabin (after he saw mine). But for whatever reason, he seems to have his mind made up for a top vented stove. I told him he would never find one and then the one above appeared. I'm going to have to break the bad news to him again. :)

If he’s going straight up, put a Tee on the back and cap it. The only time you need a top vent is due to wall clearance. You simply don’t want all the heat rising directly up and out the top. Plus it reduces cook top space.

If factory installed, the pipe will extend about 3 inches into firebox. Any Baby Bear with a top vent should have a Honey Bear style baffle added which is a round flat plate hung on 3 studs or J hooks about an inch and a half below the outlet pipe. An angled smoke shelf baffle takes up too much loading room in the smaller stove.