New to me Harman Oakwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sbct

Nov 6, 2021
Pennsylvania
Garage came with a Harman oakwood. Local stove guy can put and said everything looked good. I just had to replace the combustion package which I did myself to save money.

I have followed the owners manual to a T and the only way that I can keep the temperature in the burn zone of a store bought magnetic thermometer is to run almost on high. Air the whole way to the right / high. It obviously uses a lot of wood on high.

The guy told me with a new combustion package I should be able to keep it in the burn zone closer to the low end. There is no smoke coming out of the chimney which I thought was a good sign.

The magnetic gauge says 200 degrees barely. The guy said I should keep a stack temperature of 400 - 500. Not sure what to do to fix this?????

This could be weak draft or poorly seasoned wood. How tall is the flue system on the stove? What is the moisture content of the wood when measured on a freshly exposed face inside the wood?

This could be weak draft or poorly seasoned wood. How tall is the flue system on the stove? What is the moisture content of the wood when measured on a freshly exposed face inside the wood?
The flue system is at least 16 feet I would say. Maybe more. Don’t have a moisture meter. Wood has been seasoning since February plenty of ventilation and never got wet.

Wood has been seasoning since February plenty of ventilation and never got wet.
Not a lot of wood will season well in that short of time. Pine and fir maybe, but If the wood is oak, maple or hickory it needs at least another year of seasoning. Next fire, try adding some construction cut-offs in the stove.

These are also very temperamental stoves to run. Btw stoves are not allowed by in garages in the US

Not a lot of wood will season well in that short of time. Pine and fir maybe, but If the wood is oak, maple or hickory it needs at least another year of seasoning.
Oh jeez. That is probably the reason then. I will have to buy a moisture meter off line. Less than 20% is ideal right?

Oh jeez. That is probably the reason then. I will have to buy a moisture meter off line. Less than 20% is ideal right?
Yes but I would shoot for lower with a Harman