New to pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tea

Sep 17, 2018
VT
We bought a house at the end of winter last year.

We have a Harman p68 working in basement.

However, we have empty fireplace on the main floor... which has cathedral like ceiling open to upper beds rooms.

Am I better off moving the Harman Pellet Stove to the main floor?
Will it heat a larger area there?

The only other heat we have in this area is oil/forced which I would like to use very little this year.

If I move it we might backfill the basement with a lesser model.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks

We bought a house at the end of winter last year.

We have a Harman p68 working in basement.

However, we have empty fireplace on the main floor... which has cathedral like ceiling open to upper beds rooms.

Am I better off moving the Harman Pellet Stove to the main floor?
Will it heat a larger area there?

The only other heat we have in this area is oil/forced which I would like to use very little this year.

If I move it we might backfill the basement with a lesser model.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks
Are you doing the Work or paying for it. Me I would just get another pellet stove. Heat Rises. But is the P68 stand alone model or Insert? If Stand Alone how's it going to fit?

your always best off having the stove closest to where you want the most heat.

Empty fireplace? Like a spot where there should be one, but isn't? Or a spot that has one, that you don't use?

If it is a fireplace, your probably better off using it as a fireplace. The pellet stove isn't going to offer results much
different (especially an insert model) than the fireplace will.

I don't know about putting a free standing stove into a fireplace flue....

Empty fireplace? Like a spot where there should be one, but isn't? Or a spot that has one, that you don't use?

If it is a fireplace, your probably better off using it as a fireplace. The pellet stove isn't going to offer results much
different (especially an insert model) than the fireplace will.

I don't know about putting a free standing stove into a fireplace flue....

Sounds like nightmare of Smoke Leaking and such. If stove downstairs is free standing, it would be wiser for new Insert. I have friend with Insert and it heats quite well. Over heated to me (Wood). I would think Pellet insert would be PIA for cleaning. Having to drag it out and redo pipe every ton of pellets.