New to the Game: Cleaning, Heat Output, Etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejg3855

Dec 14, 2010
Rochester, NY
Thanks for all the great information I have a P24I I just picked up used over the weekend.

I ran through and checked all the thermo sensors per the FAQ.

I am having a few issues with the unit, It seems the previous owner didn't keep it the cleanest and it was over heating and shutting down. I cleaned it fairly well today and its running better but it still wont run on MAX for more than an hour before it overheats. The lower heat exchanger tubes were easier to clean and scraped them off. The uppers seems to have a tarish like substance on that them it proving difficult to clean and be accessibility being the main problem.

I just want to be able to run the unit on HIGH for the 4-5hrs a day I am in the main room with out it shutting itself off. My theory is that tarish nasty gunk is insulating the heat tubes and causing them to hold more heat than designed and shutting itself down.

Granted I am using cheap pellets for now (home depot), need to get some better ones.

ejg3855 said:
Thanks for all the great information I have a P24I I just picked up used over the weekend.

I am having a few issues with the unit, It seems the previous owner didn't keep it the cleanest and it was over heating and shutting down. I cleaned it fairly well today and its running better but it still wont run on MAX for more than an hour before it overheats. The lower heat exchanger tubes were easier to clean and scraped them off. The uppers seems to have a tarish like substance on that them it proving difficult to clean and be accessibility being the main problem.

I just want to be able to run the unit on HIGH for the 4-5hrs a day I am in the main room with out it shutting itself off. My theory is that tarish nasty gunk is insulating the heat tubes and causing them to hold more heat than designed and shutting itself down.

Granted I am using cheap pellets for now (home depot), need to get some better ones.

A lot of stoves can't be run flat out for any amount of time even when sparkling clean.

However given that if you get the gunk off more heat will find it way out of the convection system and thus the rest of the stove will run a bit cooler.

Take a look at what your manual says about firing the stove at its top heat range.

EJG,

I am not at all familiar with your stove so take what I say with a grain of salt.....

How deep did you clean the stove?

2-3 times a year (about every ton of pellets) you should do a deep clan and really get at all of the accumulated ash/crap that the nooks and crannies collect.
This also involves removing the exhaust (combustion) blower and the room air (convection) blower and really cleaning them out. They get bogged up with all kinds of nasty looking stuff. I use compressed air, a small brush, and carburetor cleaner on the metal blades of my exhaust blower. And on the convection blower I use air, small brush and electronics cleaner. The convection squirrel cage is plastic and I think the carb cleaner would affect it.

If the previous owner neglected the cleaning you should take it down to parade rest and really go through it.
The exhaust and room air blowers will affect how much heat is being moved around the stove so they could be a cause of your max temp issue.

BTW, I don't run my stove any higher than 75% of max. The safety will kick in and force the stove to cool down.

All the usual cleaning stuff should also be maintained. The Exhaust vent, burn pot, ash traps, ash pan, door and pan gaskets, Etc.

If you have any problems be sure to ask. Lots of great helpful folks in here willing to pass along info.

Welcome aboard,
Good Luck,
---Nailer---

ejg3855 said:

Actually If you read the manual on that insert. There is a warning about running them on high for more than an hour or 2. The warning stats just what your having an issue with. They overheat and hit the high limit switch. If the stove is perfectly clean and you have removed the blowers to do a clean and lube. You might get a wee bit more. But not much longer.

Straight from the manual. I posted 2 of the important warnings to keep an eye on that might let the stove hit the limit switch!

NOTE: When dropping 3 or more heat level settings (4 to 1, or 5 to 2 or 1) push the ‘High Fan’ button
and allow the room air fan to run at that setting for at least 5 minutes to prevent the stove from
tripping the high temp thermodisk. If the high temp thermodisk does trip see “SAFETY FEATURES”
on the next page.
CAUTION: THE “5” SETTING IS DESIGNED FOR TEMPORARY USE ONLY. IF USED FOR
EXTENDED PERIODS, IT CAN SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF THE
ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. AVOID USE AT THIS SETTING FOR MORE THAN ONE OR TWO
HOURS AT A TIME.

j-takeman said:
ejg3855 said:

Actually If you read the manual on that insert. There is a warning about running them on high for more than an hour or 2. The warning stats just what your having an issue with. They overheat and hit the high limit switch. If the stove is perfectly clean and you have removed the blowers to do a clean and lube. You might get a wee bit more. But not much longer.

Straight from the manual. I posted 2 of the important warnings to keep an eye on that might let the stove hit the limit switch!

NOTE: When dropping 3 or more heat level settings (4 to 1, or 5 to 2 or 1) push the ‘High Fan’ button
and allow the room air fan to run at that setting for at least 5 minutes to prevent the stove from
tripping the high temp thermodisk. If the high temp thermodisk does trip see “SAFETY FEATURES”
on the next page.
CAUTION: THE “5” SETTING IS DESIGNED FOR TEMPORARY USE ONLY. IF USED FOR
EXTENDED PERIODS, IT CAN SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF THE
ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. AVOID USE AT THIS SETTING FOR MORE THAN ONE OR TWO
HOURS AT A TIME.

haha look at that. well its on 4 now for the last hour and running good but just doesnt seem like its making any heat.

I have no idea.

Did you clean the convection air system from the blower fan cage to the output on the front of the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.