New to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddock

Dec 3, 2008
NL, Canada
Hi All,

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada. Currently I have a oil boiler and picked up a Kerr TW2000 wood boiler that I'm going to add to the current system. I've had this thing for a couple months now and it's still not conected to my current system. I've been focusing on trying to find good seasoned wood, but I can't find any. A local cabinet company has been selling compressed wood chip bricks. Similar to the BIO-bricks I've read about on this site. I picked up a couple palets of these but I'm not sure if they will be suitable for a boiler. I also managed to find a couple cords of unseasoned birch.

I guess I'm just posting to introduce myself and looking for any advice you guys have to give.

I'm planning to burn the bricks in combination with the green birch and hopfully not have too much build up in the chimney.

This seems to be a great site, looking forward to contributing more once I gain some experience!!!

Mike

Oh NO, not another Canuck! :cheese:

Welcome to the site. Lots of info in this place. If you haven't visited the boiler section, you may want to. Those guys are top notch dudes, with tons of gadgets and probey thingys.

Welcome, paddock! I'm going to move your thread over into the boiler room, because most of the folks here in the hearth room can't spell boiler. Rick

Bondo said:
I’m from Newfoundland, Canada. I’ve been focusing on trying to find good seasoned wood, but I can’t find any.

Wow,...
For the last 50 years, I've always thought of Newfoundland as a Tree covered island.....

If I'm wrong,.. I guess I just learned something...
If I'm Right,...
Somebody there Must be selling firewood....

LOL. Your right, lot's of trees here!! But the problem is finding seasoned firewood for sale this time of the year. I won't have any trouble next year. Just looking for a solution for this winter! I was a bit late making the decision to burn wood.

Anyone with experience burning biobricks in a boiler?

paddock said:
Anyone with experience burning biobricks in a boiler?

I'd say you should read the owner/installer manual. Your unit may not be TESTED to burn bio-bricks, & you may void any warranties...
Those bio-bricks are essentially super-sized wood pellets, & I know for a fact that Jotul does not warranty their stoves if you burn the bio-bricks - SIMPLY because UL or Warnock-Hersey have not tested them for use with that fuel...

Status
Not open for further replies.