New Toy - Chusky Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
My new toy arrived today. A Chinese copy of the Redmax 3200 but dressed in orange plastic so I call it a Chusky. 52cc with 18" bar. Only had a chance to slap it together, warm it up and lop the ends off of a couple of dozen very large over length oak splits but it seems to do fine. Just a tad more vibration than I care for but not near as much as the little Poulan. I will need to do a little tuning and refile the lousy sharpening job but we shall see.

$94 bucks shipping included. I have heard so many people that have never owned or used one bad mouth them I just had to satisfy my curiosity. Besides that I need a saw between the 142 and the 405 that is light. This sucker is light.

If you don't hear any bad news in the future, all is good.

Laugh at your leisure. :lol:

I know Redmax has been making some good saws similar to the Solo line. First I've heard of Chinese knock offs. I'm sure you consider it desposable at that price.

And predicted to be able to cut wood longer than me. Had I bought a Stihl my nearest dealer is, drum roll, Ace Hardware. Yep the full line of Stihl saws and not one of those kids in there knows anything about'em except how to ring up the sale. Or the Husky dealer who has his picture in the dictionary beside the definition of "Jerk who never gets anything out of his shop.".

And I can buy parts online all over the place for this thing. Cheap. Though the only parts I have ever needed for saws have been chains and bars. The 405+ has now officially outlasted the dealer, and the company for that matter, by 16 years.

Yeah if I have to toss it, no big loss. And I wouldn't want to try to make a living with it but the bar and chain will fit the little Huskys. If I don't, huge savings. Like when I bought the 30-NC in 2006 and folks joked about that cheap big box store stove. :cheese: But it is a light, high winding son of a gun and, will get better or blow up with breakin. Hope I don't end up with the piston stuck in my helmet. :mad:

:)
hope you like it.

BrotherBart said:
My new toy arrived today. A Chinese copy of the Redmax 3200 but dressed in orange plastic so I call it a Chusky. 52cc with 18" bar. Only had a chance to slap it together, warm it up and lop the ends off of a couple of dozen very large over length oak splits but it seems to do fine. Just a tad more vibration than I care for but not near as much as the little Poulan. I will need to do a little tuning and refile the lousy sharpening job but we shall see.

$94 bucks shipping included. I have heard so many people that have never owned or used one bad mouth them I just had to satisfy my curiosity. Besides that I need a saw between the 142 and the 405 that is light. This sucker is light.

If you don't hear any bad news in the future, all is good.

Laugh at your leisure. :lol:

Any pics? Where did you get it?

Yeah, typo. Should have been 5300. Been one of those days. Only can guess based on the pics of saw and the manuals what they copied.

You have the king of the carving saws from what I understand. And didn't buy it at the local saw shop for sure.

I ain't pimping the saw and do not suggest that anybody else buys one. Just gonna run it and see what happens. Neighbor is having what looks like four cord of trees dropped and wants me to take the wood instead of him paying them to buck'em out and haul'em off. And that 405 Plus would put me in the old folks home doing four cord it is so heavy. The 142 would get'er done but take too long.

But I will laugh my ass off if it gets it done.

Edit: And be the only person out of the millions that have bought one to admit it. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I ain't pimping the saw and do not suggest that anybody else buys one. Just gonna run it and see what happens. Neighbor is having what looks like four cord of trees dropped and wants me to take the wood instead of him paying them to buck'em out and haul'em off. And that 405 Plus would put me in the old folks home doing four cord it is so heavy. The 142 would get'er done but take too long.

But I will laugh my ass off if it gets it done.

Edit: And be the only person out of the millions that have bought one to admit it. :lol:
I'll be more surprised if it fails to do that job. But then my backup saw is apparently of similar DNA, so I might be biased.

Danno77 said:
But then my backup saw is apparently of similar DNA...

Yeah and with Stihl and Husqvarna having plants in China now there are a lot of those saws every testosterone junkie goes on and on about that have that same DNA.

I could easily say that I just wanted to buy a saw from a country that didn't declare war on us or provide iron ore to the Germans during WWII. And this was the only one I could find.

But then I would have to put my own thread in the Ash Can. :lol:

(BTW: Rest of the mods feel free.)

Reactions: BJ64
Am I reading the oil mixture correctly at 25:1?? That's some rich oil/gas mix.

Attachments

• China Chainsaw.jpg
    China Chainsaw.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 809
BrotherBart said:
Danno77 said:

Yeah and with Stihl and Husqvarna having plants in China now there are a lot of those saws every testosterone junkie goes on and on about that have that same DNA.

I could easily say that I just wanted to buy a saw from a country that didn't declare war on us or provide iron ore to the Germans during WWII. And this was the only one I could find.

History
Established in 1974
Andreas Stihl AG & Company was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, an important innovator in early chain saw production. The company is the world's best selling brand of chain saws and is the only chain saw manufacturer to make its own saw chains and guide bars. STIHL opened its first American plant in Virginia Beach in 1974, in a 20,000 square-foot rented facility with 50 employees.

Today, STIHL Inc employs over 2,000 people in more than one million square feet of operations on over 80 acres in Virginia Beach, VA. STIHL Inc. produces products for the US market and exports products to more than 80 countries

Meet the Manager: Roger P.
A Navy veteran, Roger Phelps joined STIHL in 2001. Phelps holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the U.S. Naval Academy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stihl-incorporated-virginia-beach

bogydave said:
BrotherBart said:
Danno77 said:

History
Established in 1974
Andreas Stihl AG & Company was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, an important innovator in early chain saw production. The company is the world's best selling brand of chain saws and is the only chain saw manufacturer to make its own saw chains and guide bars. STIHL opened its first American plant in Virginia Beach in 1974, in a 20,000 square-foot rented facility with 50 employees.

Today, STIHL Inc employs over 2,000 people in more than one million square feet of operations on over 80 acres in Virginia Beach, VA. STIHL Inc. produces products for the US market and exports products to more than 80 countries

Saws are manufactured both in Virginia and Germany. Stihl uses the first digit of the SN to identify the origin. 1 = German, 2 = VA, I don't know what the other plants #'s are and things may have changed in the last 3 years.

BrotherBart said:
You have the king of the carving saws from what I understand. And didn't buy it at the local saw shop for sure.

It certainly is a hot little saw in spite of it's diminutive size. I wouldn't want to buck firewood with it, but it does some serious cutting in smaller wood. It's just about vibration free, and pretty quiet as well. I can't believe the EPA won't allow these sweet little buggers into the country anymore. At $300 for just the powerhead, I'll buy every one I find. Carving saws don't enjoy long lives. I know a guy who has six 3200s who hopes to get about two years out of each one before he exhausts his supply. After that he'll have to use something else.

I actually did get this saw brand new from my local Redmax/Dolmar dealer. I had the guy do a broad search for me and he turned up two that were sitting around in distributor stocks. I missed the first one while I was out of town for a couple weeks, but he called me when the second one arrived and I ran over and grabbed it on my birthday last March.

If the Chinese copies of these saws run anything like the real ones, you have a nice tool there. I love all the RedMax saws I've tried, but the 3200 is the fine sports car of the lineup. With a 10" carving bar and Stihl 1/4 pitch chain on it it weighs about 9 pounds with fluids filled to capacity and screams along at almost 13K RPM with surprising torque for such a little saw.

Anyway, have fun with yours.

That's cool! Nice saw then, you may be starting another trend here. I may try one just to leave in the truck. I mean trunk... I don't have a truck right now. :shut:

Wait till I run this one for a bit and see how it goes.

Here's its bigger brother. Looks like you have to shake it every now and then to keep it running, but that's perfectly normal, isn't it? %-P

Battenkiller said:
Here's its bigger brother. Looks like you have to shake it every now and then to keep it running, but that's perfectly normal, isn't it?

LOL

I can't get to the YouTube comments on that right now, because I'm at work, but doesn't that guy admit that there was something rattling around in the tank or carb or something. Get it fixed and tuned, then post your video.

Stihl makes good stuff, but if you've been around saws long enough and you wanted to, you could post a video of a brand new STiHL saw that won't run for crap because the dealership didn't tune it before they gave it to you. Why would a chinasaw be any different?

About the 25:1 mix. The real Zenoah (guess I should call the company by its correct name these days, Husqvarna Zenoah Co. Ltd.) manual states 50:1 with their proprietary oil or 25:1 with other 2 cycle oil.

This one is gonna eat and drink a 32:1 mix just every two stroke I have ever owned does. Keeps the bugs away while I am cutting.

Danno77 said:
I can't get to the YouTube comments on that right now, because I'm at work, but doesn't that guy admit that there was something rattling around in the tank or carb or something. Get it fixed and tuned, then post your video.

Stihl makes good stuff, but if you've been around saws long enough and you wanted to, you could post a video of a brand new STiHL saw that won't run for crap because the dealership didn't tune it before they gave it to you. Why would a chinasaw be any different?

I agree. Saw supposedly had a broken clutch, tight bar rail groove and a few other problems. I just though it was funny is all.

Be interesting to see how that saw might run all broke in and tuned up, but my 357XP would eat that saw alive if that's all it's got. Revs just died in the cut, and it wasn't revving that high to begin with. Hope BB has better luck with his.

There are other differences that I can see from the specs, like the RedMax saws have split magnesium crankcases, adjustable oilers (usually), quality carbs, etc. Not sure what's under the hood of BB's saw, but there has to be some build/quality issues. Chinese pistons and jugs may be identical in appearance, doesn't mean they'll hold up to time. Tolerances throughout may be looser as well, and this would rob horsepower and shorten tool life, and carb and other adjustments on a lesser product may not hold well. But for under $100 to your door? Wow, that is amazing.

BrotherBart said:
About the 25:1 mix. The real Zenoah (guess I should call the company by its correct name these days, Husqvarna Zenoah Co. Ltd.) manual states 50:1 with their proprietary oil or 25:1 with other 2 cycle oil.

This one is gonna eat and drink a 32:1 mix just every two stroke I have ever owned does. Keeps the bugs away while I am cutting.

I had a real hard time the first time I mixed up some 50:1 and put it in a saw, but everybody told me that's what you want to use with the new saws (using synthetic oil), so all my saws are on 50:1 now. I keep wanting to throw a fat dose in there just to be sure, but so far I've resisted. The extra smoke is not missed.

It has a split aluminum case and adjustable oiler. Replacement oil pumps are readily available. Not sure I like what that tells me though. :lol: :mad: With my shoulder still totalled, boy that test yesterday didn't help it any, I won't be able to wring it out for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.