"New" Toy - Husky 288XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
Had it a couple days now,havent gave it much of a workout yet,but I really like it.Its a screaming mofo. :coolgrin: So much better with that decomp button,my Poulan 475 dont have one & it damn near killed me last winter lol. Great low earth-shaking burbling rumble when idling also.Should be able to do more cutting tommorow or Friday,weather permitting.Bought a very good used full-wrap handlebar for it on its way from British Columbia,Canada,that should arrive pretty soon.

Attachments

• Husky 288XP (6).jpg
    Husky 288XP (6).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,728
  • Husky 288XP (5).jpg
    Husky 288XP (5).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 983
  • Husky 288XP (2).jpg
    Husky 288XP (2).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 886
  • Husky 288XP (3).jpg
    Husky 288XP (3).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 861
  • husky 288xp.jpg
    husky 288xp.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 969
Thistle said:
Had it a couple days now,havent gave it much of a workout yet,but I really like it.Its a screaming mofo. :coolgrin: So much better with that decomp button,my Poulan 475 dont have one & it damn near killed me last winter lol. Great low earth-shaking burbling rumble when idling also.Should be able to do more cutting tommorow or Friday,weather permitting.Bought a very good used full-wrap handlebar for it on its way from British Columbia,Canada,that should arrive pretty soon.

Thistle, looks good. What type of round is the 288XP sitting on?

Zap

zapny said:
Thistle said:

Thistle, looks good. What type of round is the 288XP sitting on?

Zap

Eastern Redcedar/Juniper. Only thing I had here of any size that wasnt already split & stacked.Can't wait to try it out on some large standing dead Red/White Oak! :vampire: Am looking at the aftermarket large high HD air filter & cover for it also in the future,either that or the large foam filter & velocity stack with no cover. Plan on hot-rodding it a wee bit. :coolsmirk:

Thanks, learned something new tonight. I never noticed the spring on the front of the 371 until I saw your pics.

Awesome!

Tried it out yesterday. Perfect working weather - 72 degrees,low humidity,light breeze.Dropped a couple standing snags - 16" Red Oak,14" White Oak with the bad boy.This stack is now just over 6 feet tall & 11 feet 6 inches long.Before I started,it was barely 2 feet tall - did that amount last week. Dropping,bucking,hauling up to the processing area,splitting & stacking took just over 4 hours,including a 30 min lunch break & walk up over the far hill & back to stretch out my legs & back before returning.

I think I'll keep it. :coolgrin: ;-)

Attachments

• completed stack.jpg
    completed stack.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 428
Just got a text to bring the big saw (and splitter) on the 17th of July! :coolgrin: Big sugar!

Congratulations! Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves that saw!!

Must be running pretty good now - according to cheap digital tach earlier - 14680RPM wide open,9500+ under load,2680 at idle.That tells me all I need. :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
Must be running pretty good now - according to cheap digital tach earlier - 14680RPM wide open,9500+ under load,2680 at idle.That tells me all I need. :coolgrin:

Yea thats a lot of rpm's on that size saw! :cheese:

Thistle said:

14680 on a 288?!?

Max RPM is 12,500. I'm thinking you may be more than a tad lean.

told you were gonna fall in love with that saw!

Wendell, thats some collection....your saw collection is a lot like mine (minus the Dolmars and Jonesreds...how do they compare to the 395? I do love my old 1-42's and I breeak out the 1-72 for fun sometimes. Amazes me that stuff still runs as well as it does for its age.

I need to remove the 7300. I just sold it yesterday and the 1-50 is almost ready to be moved out of the Project saw list. I thought I was going to have to replace the crank seals but it keeps running better every time I use it. I had to tear the tank apart on a 250 and grind it clean and should have a new tank gasket in the next couple days to get it back together.

They are fun to run!

maxed_out said:
told you were gonna fall in love with that saw!

Wendell, thats some collection....your saw collection is a lot like mine (minus the Dolmars and Jonesreds...how do they compare to the 395? I do love my old 1-42's and I breeak out the 1-72 for fun sometimes. Amazes me that stuff still runs as well as it does for its age.

How does which one compare to the 395? Both the 2171 and 7900 are ported so the 395 doesn't get pulled out until I need the 42" bar. The 2171 actually just won 7th place at the AS Work Saw Build-Off. It is a screamer. I was at a buddy's working on saws yesterday and he pulled out his 066 and I beat him by over 5 seconds in a 24" white pine log.

Status
Not open for further replies.