New tundra ii, blower seldom runs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montypython

Dec 24, 2016
Michigan
Just finished installing new Tundra ii, had three contractors come and look at it, noon of them wanted the job. Was excited to get some heat out of it, but the blower kicks on very, very seldom. The fire send to burn ok, just no heat. I haven't hooked up to the thermostat yet, forgot to get the wire. Buy it seems as though there should be an override somewhere. Any help out there?

Do you know what the temp of the box is? What temp is the blower supposed to kick on at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't own a tundra. And I'm not the most informed on here. But until someone else chimes in I'll try to help.
Either get a laser temp gun from harbor freight. Or buy a cheap magnetic stove pipe thermometer and stick it on the front of the box above the door.
I imagine the switch for the new tundra is on top the box in the plenum? The manual should tell you where it is and what it is supposed to be set at.
Simply put. Unless there is something wrong. Most furnaces work like this.
Snap disk is mounted inside the jacket either on the back or the top. The snap disc is sensing air temperature. Once it hits the set temperature the switch closes and turns on the blower. So either your switch /blower isnt set up correctly or you aren't getting up to temperature. You need to know the answer to that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnetic pipe thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Recommend a good IR gun. Spray measuring locations with flat black paint if they're shiney.

How dry is your wood? Is your chimney draft within spec?

Like maple says, your wood and draft can make or break you. These furnaces require well seasoned wood. If the moisture content is high, the furnace will use up the energy to burn off the moisture in the wood instead of producing heat. Also you need a good draft which is the engine of the system. What type of wood arw you burning, and how long has it been cut and split? Also what type and size of chimney do you have?

Just finished installing new Tundra ii, had three contractors come and look at it, noon of them wanted the job. Was excited to get some heat out of it, but the blower kicks on very, very seldom. The fire send to burn ok, just no heat. I haven't hooked up to the thermostat yet, forgot to get the wire. Buy it seems as though there should be an override somewhere. Any help out there?
Congrats on the new T2! There is no override to kick the blower on. Have you placed the RTD sensor where they recommend...maybe it needs moved...that's what senses the plenum temp to kick the blower on. I think the blower "on/off" temp is programmable on T2...could be wrong. I've heard the T2 manual sux as far as how to operate the controller...IIRC the PSG Caddy uses the same or a similar controller, maybe you could download the Caddy manual for better instructions?
Also, if you are burning wet wood, you'll be surprised how little heat you'll get out of it...and you really need to get that tstat hooked up, that will help. How long did you leave the intake damper open?

Magnetic pipe thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Recommend a good IR gun. Spray measuring locations with flat black paint if they're shiney.

How dry is your wood? Is your chimney draft within spec?

The wood is pretty dry, probably two years after cut and split, was standing dead for a couple before cutting. I believe the chimney is within spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.