new wood yard hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
needed a wheelbarrow..so i went to lowes and found this......be nice to be able to tow with the mower as well..the hitch thingy can be folded unerneath..so u can u can use it like u would a wheel barrow....its 8 cubic feet...500lb capacity

cart.gif

yeah im not impressed with tires..........maybe an upgrade to do on it later.

I originally purchased this cart for my lawn mower and now use it for hauling wood with my 4 wheeler. It takes alot of abuse and does quite well. However, when back in rough woods it does tend to tip over when you roll over things so you need to be careful and clear a path. I intend to replace it once it wears out with a more durable tandem axel polar cat from Northern Tool so I can haul more over rougher terrain.

I got a similar wheelbarrow from Sam's Club this spring; works very well; large tires, 550lb capacity. The weight is balanced and makes it much easier to move the rounds and splits from my processing area to the stacks. Heck, it even has two beer...I mean water, holders!

Gotta give my wife credit for this one; she saw it there and said that was what I needed!!

Attachments

• 0081357001006_A.jpg
    0081357001006_A.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 263
I don't mean to hijack, but I never posted the one I made a while back.

Just some scrap 1/4" diamond sheet metal I had laying around.
My Grandfather had gave my mom some homemade clothes poles many years back, and she no longer used them.... So I figured I'd incorporate them in as well for a little extra :)
He used 2" Square tubing, 1/8" wall. I also used it for the hitch!
edit; I forgot, there's also 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat stock running underneath the square and around the side for extra support.
36"x48" with 36" tall sides.
Never found anything it couldn't hold yet.
Just using cheap HF rims, I think they're 400lb cap.
Flattened them like a pancake many, many times... but still function as intended :)
It's actually using 4 400lb tires, with a little pivot device so that no weight is on the mower, and it can pivot depending on terrain.
But it still is fixed, so that it can move forward/backup just like normal.
I almost wish I just took the time to make it with a ball on it, but I guess that's for V2.0

Not many build pictures...
But I was building this when I was in the closing stage of my house, and my welder and table was still at my parents house (No way I was taking it with me to my apartment!)
My dad saw me building one, and figured he'd lend a hand and make up some sides for it!
It's all scrap hardwood from pallets he gathered at his work.

WP_000144.jpg

WP_000164.jpg

WP_000170.jpg

WP_000173.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.