New Years wood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I went scrounging at my mother in laws last few days. Got quite abit of standing dead red oak

Attachments

• red oak 1.jpg
    red oak 1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 440
  • red oak 2.jpg
    red oak 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 453
great scroung. Looks like good stuff. The scrounge action has been pretty slim around here this season :(

wahoowad said:
great scroung. Looks like good stuff. The scrounge action has been pretty slim around here this season :(

Hard work getting it out of the woods though. I didnt have anything small enough to fit back there where i fell it so i used an old sled with a rope and pulled the rounds out to the lane. Saved my back. I know what you mean by slim scrounging, it's kinda been like that here the last few months

That's one of the benefits of cutting in the winter is that it makes skidding easier, even if you use an old sled or toboggan.

Nice haul, but I'm not sure I would consider cutting at a family woodlot 'scrounging.' You're a gentleman landowner-in-law, and 'harvest' timber instead of scrounge firewood.

According to Wood Duck's definition, I'll be a "harvester" in the spring/summer at my sis-in-laws new place just about 3 miles from here. Lots of standing dead and down oak/maple. Too much snow on the ground right now, so can't wait for early spring.

Wood Duck said:
Nice haul, but I'm not sure I would consider cutting at a family woodlot 'scrounging.' You're a gentleman landowner-in-law, and 'harvest' timber instead of scrounge firewood.

You dont know my mother in law :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.