Newb wants to know,did I get a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grovenburg

Dec 9, 2011
[email protected]
Hello. First post here. I was thinking about a OWB until I found this site and started reading. After deciding a gasser was in my future I started looking for a used one. I ended up buying a Econoburn 100 that's about 3 years old. It came with a 659 gallon storage tank from a company called STSS. The tank uses copper heat exchangers and it was purchased new with the Econoburn. It seems to all be in very good condition and I trust the person I got it from. I paid $3,800. He said he had north of $11,000 into the package. Does this sound correct? Thanks.

Grovenburg said:
Hello. First post here. I was thinking about a OWB until I found this site and started reading. After deciding a gasser was in my future I started looking for a used one. I ended up buying a Econoburn 100 that's about 3 years old. It came with a 659 gallon storage tank from a company called STSS. The tank uses copper heat exchangers and it was purchased new with the Econoburn. It seems to all be in very good condition and I trust the person I got it from. I paid $3,800. He said he had north of $11,000 into the package. Does this sound correct? Thanks.
You got a good deal on a very nice boiler....however, about 1 year ago new 100's were selling for $4500 & I don't think he had $6500 in that tank, Randy

You may have gotten a good deal if the flux capacitor still is functioning, and be sure to verify proper operation before you first fire the boiler. You will not regret this when you look back to the future on your boiler purchase.

Singed Eyebrows said:
Grovenburg said:
You got a good deal on a very nice boiler....however, about 1 year ago new 100's were selling for $4500 & I don't think he had $6500 in that tank, Randy

Wow. Big difference between retail and actual price. I looked around at new prices and didn't see anything as low as $4,500.

jebatty said:
You may have gotten a good deal if the flux capacitor still is functioning, and be sure to verify proper operation before you first fire the boiler. You will not regret this when you look back to the future on your boiler purchase.

Good advice. Thankyou.

maple1 said:
Sounds like a steal to me.

Why was he selling?

He had it in the basement of a 2 story home and had an issue with the chimney. He was going to put an additional stainless chimney up the side of the house but got shot down by the homeowners assoc. He went with Geothermal after that.

This is my second season with a Econoburn 200. I like it but am very happy that it is in my out building.

If you plan on putting it in you house come up with a good ventilation system.

Oh yeah, make sure you have dry wood. The difference is very dramatic.

gg

Grovenburg said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Grovenburg said:

Wow. Big difference between retail and actual price. I looked around at new prices and didn't see anything as low as $4,500.

That was blow out prices on ebay from a dealer that was dropped.

You should call Econoburn and find out how much it would cost to upgrade to the new controller. Mine seems to function much differently than the older style.

gg

The warranty should be transferable also.

You did get a great deal! Those tanks and exchangers are crazy expensive. I have a price sheet somewhere.

gg

goosegunner said:
This is my second season with a Econoburn 200. I like it but am very happy that it is in my out building.

If you plan on putting it in you house come up with a good ventilation system.

Oh yeah, make sure you have dry wood. The difference is very dramatic.

gg

It's going in the backroom of my pole building and I will run underground pex to the house for forced air and DHW. I'm not planning on installing till this spring/ summer and have wood drying now. Thanks again.

Did anyone look inside the storage tank and notice that all the copper is gone??

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Did anyone look inside the storage tank and notice that all the copper is gone??

Ha ha. It came with 2 big coils for the furnace and one split coil for DWH and a solar hook up.

Grovenburg said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Ha ha. It came with 2 big coils for the furnace and one split coil for DWH and a solar hook up.

How far is it to the house from pole barn?

I would consider running big pex to the house and keeping the tank in the house. That way you could use the coil for DHW.

Other wise you would have to run two pair of lines to shed. The DHW coil would work best if you could keep it close to the house.

You really did get a great deal on the system Make sure and spend some money on good underground lines. You are going to be so happy that you didn't buy a OWB.

gg

goosegunner said:
Grovenburg said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

I would consider running big pex to the house and keeping the tank in the house. That way you could use the coil for DHW.

Other wise you would have to run two pair of lines to shed. The DHW coil would work best if you could keep it close to the house.

You really did get a great deal on the system Make sure and spend some money on good underground lines. You are going to be so happy that you didn't buy a OWB.

gg

It's about 150 foot to the house. I'm planning on running 1 1/4 pex. I wasn't planning on putting storage in the house cause I've got a fininshed basement. I was planning on a plate exchanger for the hot water heater. I'm thinking 5 wrap pex.;

Grovenburg said:
You got a great deal...........$6,995 for mine 3 yrs. ago. As long as it is properly sized for your home-----an ideal setup. Wish I had that storage!!

Grovenburg said:
goosegunner said:
Grovenburg said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

gg

It's about 150 foot to the house. I'm planning on running 1 1/4 pex. I wasn't planning on putting storage in the house cause I've got a fininshed basement. I was planning on a plate exchanger for the hot water heater. I'm thinking 5 wrap pex.;

150 feet will never work - that's way too far. Don't even waste your time.

I'm leaving now to take that now-useless thing off your hands - I should be there before the weekend is over.

I'll give you what you paid for it and even kick in a case of beer - you can thank me later.

I would not use the 5 wrap pex. Read the Sticky about foam in place or buy Logstor type pipe. You got such a great deal on your setup you can put in good lines and still be under what you would have spent on an OWB.

Freeheat4U on ebay has some foamed 1-1/4" ID reahau pipe with O2 barrier that I think they said $11/ foot when I called them. They will cut to custom lengths.

Andersons wood boiler supply in Plymouth WI is the name.

I went with 32 mm Logstor and am pretty confident that it is probably the most resistant to water infiltration as you can get.

gg

goosegunner said:
I would not use the 5 wrap pex. Read the Sticky about foam in place or buy Logstor type pipe. You got such a great deal on your setup you can put in good lines and still be under what you would have spent on an OWB.

Freeheat4U on ebay has some foamed 1-1/4" ID reahau pipe with O2 barrier that I think they said $11/ foot when I called them. They will cut to custom lengths.

I went with 32 mm Logstor and am pretty confident that it is probably the most resistant to water infiltration as you can get.

gg

Thanks for the great advice. I called every foam guy I could find in my area and the only quote I got for closed cell was $2,200! Ouch! I'm trying not to skimp but times are so tuff right now. Is the foamed stuff that much better than the 5 wrapped? It would be double the money.

Grovenburg said:
goosegunner said:

gg

Thanks for the great advice. I called every foam guy I could find in my area and the only quote I got for closed cell was $2,200! Ouch! I'm trying not to skimp but times are so tuff right now. Is the foamed stuff that much better than the 5 wrapped? It would be double the money.

You can search and read for hours about underground lines. If you get water in the drain tile you are done. One poster here tried to inject foam into drain tile that he had pulled his own pex through. He said he knew that he would have problems when he could see foam leaking out from microscopic holes that he could not see before injecting the foam.

Really drain tile is not meant to be water tight. It is used to move water but they don't really care if water leaks out or in it is more of a routing device.

I am like many who like to save or get deals, the underground is not a place where you really want to skimp. Big hassle and expense to dig it up and do it again.

gg

goosegunner said:
Grovenburg said:
goosegunner said:

gg

You can search and read for hours about underground lines. If you get water in the drain tile you are done. One poster here tried to inject foam into drain tile that he had pulled his own pex through. He said he knew that he would have problems when he could see foam leaking out from microscopic holes that he could not see before injecting the foam.

Really drain tile is not meant to be water tight. It is used to move water but they don't really care if water leaks out or in it is more of a routing device.

I am like many who like to save or get deals, the underground is not a place where you really want to skimp. Big hassle and expense to dig it up and do it again.

gg

More good advice. I guess I'll start saving my pennies.

Good deal with the storage... I was one of the lucky ones that got one on e-bay for 4475 I am in the final stages of hooking mine up. I wasted a whole year, but this has been a crazy busy one for me, and no one here was willing to hook this up for me... so here I go!

I'm that guy who's the poster child for screwed up underground. My run is over 170' from boiler room to HX. Once up to temp, the energy loss on the total round trip is amazingly small on my system. Once you decide on a insulation METHOD that involves closed cell polyurethane foam (which you'd be crazy if you didn't use foam), then the only variable in determining retaining the energy is the thickness from the pex to the dirt. I have AT LEAST 3-4" between the pex wall and the dirt. Impossible to get that thickness in a product that has to be shipped to a customer. I'm not bashing the commercial, pre-foamed products. It's just the laws of physics, if the material is the same then the only other variable in energy retention is thickness. Any product with the word "wrapped" I would avoid since the worst offender of conducting energy underground is water. BTW, my lines are in an approximate 12" square block and it was done much cheaper than the prefoamed products. I love having our system in an out building. Sounds like you really got a stunning deal. EVERY component of your system can be replaced or upgraded fairly easily, except the underground. You found the right place to learn about heating with wood. Best wishes.

Grovenburg said:

I'm just guessing how the heat exchangers were set up originally, and how you plan to set them up. It sounds like the DHW coil in the storage tank won't be used for DHW, though you could use it to double up the other coil as long as you don't need it in the future for DHW (or you're not worried about drinking boiler residue).

Tom is the expert on unpressurized storage and he might disagree, but ideally you would put the tank in the basement and use the DHW coil as it was designed to get the best storage capacity for DHW. Every time you transfer heat through a heat exchanger you lose some of your temperature difference, which translates to losing effective storage capacity with every heat exchange. One way to deal with this is to add another water heater tank, so that you're storing more hot water directly when the boiler is running and not relying so much on transferring heat from a storage tank through heat exchangers and 300' of pipe.

4hiswork said:
Good deal with the storage... I was one of the lucky ones that got one on e-bay for 4475 I am in the final stages of hooking mine up. I wasted a whole year, but this has been a crazy busy one for me, and no one here was willing to hook this up for me... so here I go!

$4,475 is a e-bay steal for that stove. Mine will take some time to hook up as well. I'm not in a hurry to make any mistakes.

[quote author="Tennman" date="1323540536"]I'm that guy who's the poster child for screwed up underground. My run is over 170' from boiler room to HX. Once up to temp, the energy loss on the total round trip is amazingly small on my system. Once you decide on a insulation METHOD that involves closed cell polyurethane foam (which you'd be crazy if you didn't use foam), then the only variable in determining retaining the energy is the thickness from the pex to the dirt. I have AT LEAST 3-4" between the pex wall and the dirt. Impossible to get that thickness in a product that has to be shipped to a customer. I'm not bashing the commercial, pre-foamed products. It's just the laws of physics, if the material is the same then the only other variable in energy retention is thickness. Any product with the word "wrapped" I would avoid since the worst offender of conducting energy underground is water. BTW, my lines are in an approximate 12" square block and it was done much cheaper than the prefoamed products. I love having our system in an out building. Sounds like you really got a stunning deal. EVERY component of your system can be replaced or upgraded fairly easily, except the underground. You found the right place to learn about heating with wood. Best wishes.[/quo

I called every local company I could find for a quote on closed cell foam and the only bid I got was $2,200. Maybe I should try again. I think the "foam in place" idea is a great one but what about cracking with the freeze and thaw or the ground settling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.