Newb with Chimney and Stove problem/opprotunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
Howdy everyone! I'm new to this forum and have a bit of a chimney and stove dilemma.... Thanks in advance for any advice.

I need to have one of my chimneys relined this year. Currently I have a big old Timberline stove with an 8 inch outlet. I was told I need an 8 inch oval liner for that stove, however the installer mentioned that a 6 inch liner would be much less expensive but would require me to replace the stove. Due to the height and location of the chimeny I'm not able to do this work myself.

My questions are:
How much better is a new stove?
and
How big of a stove would I need- the Timberline heats most of the house ok- and measures 30 inches wide by 22 inches deep

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its getting cold around here...

Chris

Your installer is giving good advice. A new stove is going to burn cleaner and will consume less wood, while providing equivalent heat. I'm guessing you'll want a 2.5 to 3 cu ft firebox in the stove. How large is the house?

The other issue you may run into is a lack of supply. Stove sales have been brisk this year and some manufacturers have not been able to keep up with the demand. Are you near (with say 50 miles) of any good stove stores or a Home Depot or Lowes? If you can get a stove, do you have means to transport it to your home?

Thanks for the reply. The house is maybe 2400 sq ft, 1870's farmhouse. Today I went locally and looked at a Lopi Liberty and a Pacific Summit. The is both a Home Depot and Lowe's about 30 miles away, as well as a few other stove dealers. Transport is no problem, just gas. I figure if I go this route I can (hopefully) get a stove, bring it home, and have the chimney guys check the install when they're doing the chimney.

Thanks Again

Chris

Good choices, both solid, well made 3 cu ft stoves. The Liberty takes big logs. The PE has close clearances, a simpler protected secondary baffle and ashpan. You might find an Englander 30NC at HD or Lowes for about $1000. That will give you a bottom end comparison. Though comparatively low-priced, it's a good simple, solid stove with several happy owners here.

Thanks again.
These forums are a wealth of information. I looked at a couple more stoves tobay and will hopefully make a decsion soon.

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.