Newbie, Buck stove, old vs new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henery007

Sep 4, 2012
Hi,have been reading here for a few years now and finally joined:)

My question is as above in a Buck stove comparison,27000 vs 94
After a power outage last winter the bearings in the 27000 motor went bad and now the blower is as noisy as you can imagine. Being informed by Buck that they no longer sell the motor I started looking into a replacment insert

Looking & reading threads on the Buck,Blaze King,and a few other it came down to BK or Buck,after the closest dealer, (that had time to talk about the BK), I found out the BK ultra didn't come as a insert:eek:
this made my decision easy now as the only reason I was after the BK was the thermostat & long burn times

Owning a Buck & very happy with its performance started reading & calling around for a price on a 94, finding out the dealer I called knew both stoves very well,maybe too well,he answered all of my questions with very good honest answers and this is what led me to join to ask for feedback

I asked if the 94 would out perform the 27000 after being informed of the fan setup, as I like the three speed setup on the 27000 and have questioned the one speed of the 94, his reply was a honest answer that the 94 is built much tighter than the 27000 and should give longer burn times as far as heating issues that it would depend on the wood used(good guy he is not meant to belittle him in any way) though when asked compared side to side for output he wasn't sure if the 94 could make a big enoug difference to not be dissapointed in a new investment of a 94.I also called anothe seller of Buck stoves for information on this change(upgrade) ,after informing him of my concerns with the 94's & others performance he agreed with the first salesperson that the 27000 is a very good stove even going as far as to say "why do you want to do that the 27000 is a very good stove just find a motor"

My question is for the owners of noncat stoves that have upgraded from a situation like this.Was it worth it? Did the new insert outperform your old one to your expectaions?
$150 vs the cost of a new insert is alot of money and not intersted is wasting money, would like feedback from your experinces,if you are not comfortable hanging your laundry out for all to read please send a private message
Thankyou

Thank you,yes this is where I found also one
still kinda wondering if the newer stove would be worth the investment, this one is old though still good ,just hoping to hear from others experinces,might be too early in the season
they also have some dressup things to make it look kinder to the eyes;)

A newer EPA stove will be more efficient meaning less emissions and more heat delivered to the room instead of the flue. As for eye candy, there is a world of stoves besides the Buck that would be worth considering. This is not to knock Buck at all, they make good solid stoves.

Some things to consider with modern EPA stoves is the wood supply and the flue. The non-catalytic units in particular can need a bit more draft. And they really want seasoned wood. If those two conditions are met, then they are a pleasure to burn in. The glass stays cleaner and some can really put out the heat.

How tall is your chimney?

Is your 27000 installed connected to a liner or is it just sealed around the surround? If the later, that is no longer legal and considered unsafe. A new stove at a minimum will need to be stubbed to above the damper, though a full liner is much preferred.

around 30ft and if i remember 14" inside
fireplace 39w 29h 26d
everyone says the fireplace was overkill for the house
previous owner,orignal,served in Europe during WW2,figured Bastogne,and didn't want to get cold ever again

yes installed with no flue just seal, working on flue & liner options during this process
new stove new liner & works
old,at the very least stubbed and adapters added to extend

oh as for wood, covered under grain trailer tarp,black, over two-three years old,off ground by two feet, white oak,osage orange:eek: (used sparingly)white ash thats it,I cut it and stack ect.
will be adding more ash this fall in another row

Sounds good. With a proper liner a new stove should kick out a lot of heat and use a lot less wood.

I would like to see some of the response to your question. Last year I had a Buck 26000 model that I used as an insert. Did a great job keeping the house warm but the only drawback I had with it was small firebox (1.6 ) Had to get up a couple times durning the night and add wood and that gets old. This year I have replaced the Buck with an Appalachian 52 Bay (2.8 firebox) so I am looking forward to this year heating season. One thing for sure is that old Buck would put out some heat. When I lined my chimney I went ahead a installed an 8 inch flex liner and used that with the old Buck and glad I did because my new stove called for 8 inch also.

I too am waiting to hear from others experinces that have upgraded
& YES the 27000 will cook us out at any outside temps;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.