Newbie chainsaw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmuellr

Nov 23, 2009
SE Michigan
I've got a little McCollough Eager Beaver chainsaw that I've been borrowing from my dad. Works fine, generates chips and noise.

I was just out cutting up some downed tree's in my neighborhood commons area, stopped to split a bit, then went back to cutting and the chain was so tight that it would hardly spin. I'm pretty consistant about oiling while running (I fill up the oil tank about every other time I fill up the gas tank). I figured that was a good excuse to stop working, so I head home and grabbed my tools. Loosened up the bar a bit and it spun just fine.

So... What can cause the chain to bind up like that? Am I not oiling the chain enough? What's going on???

Thanks!
Kevin

sawdust in the groove of the bar will cause it.

kmmuellr said:
(I fill up the oil tank about every other time I fill up the gas tank).

Thanks!
Kevin

Every chainsaw I've ever used (including a little Mac Eager Beaver) always used most of a tank of oil to one tank of gas. So if you are only filling up every other tank then
you are probably also running out of oil on every second tank of gas.
Al

Maybe when you adjusted the bar/chain, the bar wasn't in the "up" position. Then again, I can't remember if this causes the chain to tighten up or loosen, but I know it does make a difference.

blel said:
Maybe when you adjusted the bar/chain, the bar wasn't in the "up" position...
+1

On most saws, if the bar is tightened in the "down" position, the chain gets tight as the bar creeps up. I put the end of the bar on a small log, push down on the top handle with my left wrist as I pull up on the chain with my left hand and tighten the bar with my right hand.

I do it just a bit different , I put the saw on the ground and put my right foot on top of the saw and grab the blade and saw chain from underneath by the front of the bar chain with my left hand and pull up as I tighten the bar up with my right hand .

lobsta1 said:
kmmuellr said:
(I fill up the oil tank about every other time I fill up the gas tank).

Thanks!
Kevin

Every chainsaw I've ever used (including a little Mac Eager Beaver) always used most of a tank of oil to one tank of gas. So if you are only filling up every other tank then
you are probably also running out of oil on every second tank of gas.
Al
Bingo we have a winner!

webie said:
I do it just a bit different , I put the saw on the ground and put my right foot on top of the saw and grab the blade and saw chain from underneath by the front of the bar chain with my left hand and pull up as I tighten the bar up with my right hand .

You must look like a spider monkey Eff'n a football doin' that manuver!!!! :coolhmm: Easier to put the bar up on a block of wood so the bottom of the saw is not laying flat and then tighten chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.