Newbie having troubles finding an installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimKinWisconsin

Sep 28, 2011
Wisconsin
I have a house with two full masonry fireplaces and would like to set a small wood stove into one of them, an example would be a Jotul 3cb with the short leg kit. I would use the stove recreationally in the winter, not with the intent of being a primary heat source. I'd just rather capture some of the heat value of the wood when I burn rather than suck all the warm air out of the house through the fireplace.

My problem is I would like to buy a used stove and have someone install it for me. My homeowner's insurance agent requires an insured, certified pro for the job, and that's fine. But I can't seem to find someone to take on the job. They either want to sell me a new stove (OK I understand that) or they just don't get the concept of putting a stove in a fireplace hearth. I've talked to several installers who steer me to an insert, which I prefer not to do. Or they insist this installation is going to be too expensive to bother with. Yesterday an installer told me the 20 feet of stainless steel pipe to go up the chimney alone would cost $3,000. Another installer told me all I would need is an inexpensive liner to go up through the chimney.

Here I thought this install would be pretty straightforward, since I have two fireplaces to choose from. I'm allowed to burn fires in an open fireplace, so why is it so difficult to get to burn one in a stove? I think part of the problem is the area where I live. There doesn't seem to be much wood-burning in my part of Wisconsin, where if I call a stove provider 150 miles west or north of here, they seem to understand what needs to be done and how to do it.

Can anyone reassure me that I can get a stove installed? Is anyone familiar with an installer near Green Bay, Wis., who would get what I'm after? Any help would sure be appreciated, because I'm very interested in pursuing a wood stove. Thanks!

Most carpenters can install a stove. Just be sure to state what clearances are required.

He needs a certified pro for insurance acceptance.

So what is needed for certification? Most companies will specify if they want installation different or I should say in addition to what the manufacturer wants. Ours did require more which was no problem. I had a buddy come to help and he is a carpenter. The agent was at the house on the day of installation and all was well.

Status
Not open for further replies.